Location For Bathroom Exhaust Fan - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Location for Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but it seems like plumbers might be more familiar with bathroom exhausts than HVAC who usually concentrate on whole-house issues.

I have a house with a very small bathroom. I would like to install an exhaust fan, but must run it out through the side wall since the joists run the wrong way. The room is about 9 feet wide. To the left is the toilet, then a small window, then the bath/shower to the right. I can put the exhaust anywhere on this wall. I don't like the idea of putting the exhaust within the shower stall, even high -- many installations I have seen like this get rusty very quick and there is a potential issue I think with getting a shock from the unit while in the tub (even with a GFIC circuit).

Above the toilet has the advantage of sucking out the toilet fumes, but would it be too far away from the shower to help with "steam" from the shower. I could put it above the window, but would this be aesthetically odd looking?

Thanks for your opinions.

Advertisement

Perry401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

Location for Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I'm no pro. But I'd put it over the toilet. Put it on a timer, so it runs 15 minutes longer than your shower.

Advertisement

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote