Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Locating Sump in Basement

Good morning.
First time poster here.
I am looking for advice on how to located the sump area in my basement.
I just bought a 10 year old house which is stubbed for a bath in the basement. The final drain exits the house above the basement floor so I would assume the stubbed drains in the basement would lead to a sump area? The problem is I cannot find it. A previous owner covered the entire basement floor with tile also. I hate to tear out all the tile to look for the sump.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Torre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

Not all houses have sump pits.

Grey waste water and sump pit water are not usually tied together anyway

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
The basement is stubbed for a bath. 2" drain and a 4" drain sticking out of the concrete slab (The 4" would not be for grey water).
These have to be connected to something. But what?
I am assuming they simply route to a sump area??
Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Not all houses have sump pits.

Grey waste water and sump pit water are not usually tied together anyway
In chasing drain lines, you can rent a good metal detector. Then I put a relatively small magnet (depending on drain size) and snake it down the line.

While theoretically you could just use a piece of metal, the magnet really helps make the metal detector alot easier to detect the run. (There is an art to reading those metal detectors/tracers, and the magnet makes it alot more obvious.)

It works for me under both SOG and out in the yard. Kinda PIA, but better than scrapping tile and concrete.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torre1 View Post
Thanks for the reply.
The basement is stubbed for a bath. 2" drain and a 4" drain sticking out of the concrete slab (The 4" would not be for grey water).
These have to be connected to something. But what?
I am assuming they simply route to a sump area??
if it was stubbed out for a future bath in the basement then they should go to either your building sewer line or septic system. it is strange however that your main building sewer would be above the floor. it is possible the stubbed lines run outside and tie into your building sewer line at some point. it is possible they go to nowhere ..........

If you are planning on installing a bath in the basement I would bring in a plumber to determine if the lines are properly connected and that a basement bath would work by gravity, or if a pump would be needed.

Ground water drains and roof drains should not be connected into the building sewer especially if you are on a septic system.

Hope this helps.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
In chasing drain lines, you can rent a good metal detector. Then I put a relatively small magnet (depending on drain size) and snake it down the line.

While theoretically you could just use a piece of metal, the magnet really helps make the metal detector alot easier to detect the run. (There is an art to reading those metal detectors/tracers, and the magnet makes it alot more obvious.)

It works for me under both SOG and out in the yard. Kinda PIA, but better than scrapping tile and concrete.
I like this idea and may give it a try.
Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
if it was stubbed out for a future bath in the basement then they should go to either your building sewer line or septic system. it is strange however that your main building sewer would be above the floor. it is possible the stubbed lines run outside and tie into your building sewer line at some point. it is possible they go to nowhere ..........

If you are planning on installing a bath in the basement I would bring in a plumber to determine if the lines are properly connected and that a basement bath would work by gravity, or if a pump would be needed.

Ground water drains and roof drains should not be connected into the building sewer especially if you are on a septic system.

Hope this helps.
I agree the whole set-up is strange and the only way it makes sense (to me anyway) is to have the drain lines going to a sump area. I am on sewer BTW. Two things I though of was to consult my imediate neighbors to see what is going on in their basements and secondly to start pouring water down the 4" drain and see where it goes. If it's to a sealed off pit somewhere, I won't learn a darned thing except now my 4" waste line is full of water.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Not so strange...

In my house the upper bathroom and kitchen go to the septic via gravity flow.
The lower bathroom and laundry goes ointo the basement into a sewage injector pit, where it is pumped up to the main line which runs and exits along the basement ceiling..

Sewage injector pit and sump pit are two separate pipes and pumps. The sump drains into a ditch out front
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #9

I apologize, I just realized you are looking for the ejector pump/tank if installed, not a sump pump ....... no what I meant was strange was two different levels of building sewer without an ejector pump. guess I haven't had enough coffee today

Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #10

No no..Gary Brackins...tis I who should apologize to you for the confusion

The op never mentioned sewage injector,,thats my house...he can't find his sump, probably because there isnt one
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #11

I think what they meant was they are looking for the ejector pump/tank for the stubbed bath lines and was calling it a sump. They cannot see the cover because the floor has been tiled over.

a plumber should be able to snake the lines and determine where they terminate. I couldn't imagine someone putting tile over the cover for the ejector pump but strange things do happen. could be there was a cut out/knock out in the slab for future installation. If you have a long enough snake yourself you could give it a go.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

If there were an injector pit would the op not be able to follow that large black pipe that terminates into the floor?? And then he could follow it back up where it would tie into the main septic drain. Not sure but I think an ejector pit would only be present in a septic application?? ..
Old 05-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #13

(for non-ceramic tile) Try tapping on the floor (not too hard) about a foot away from the wall using a hammer or even the end of a 2 x 4. Work your way along the wall and listen for any change in sound. Then go around the perimeter again, this time 2 feet in from the wall.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-20-2013 at 01:51 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Plumber

I would hire a plumber with a sewer camera and line locater.
By running the camera you will be able to see the condition of the drains and locate the pit.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
I think what they meant was they are looking for the ejector pump/tank for the stubbed bath lines and was calling it a sump. They cannot see the cover because the floor has been tiled over.

a plumber should be able to snake the lines and determine where they terminate. I couldn't imagine someone putting tile over the cover for the ejector pump but strange things do happen. could be there was a cut out/knock out in the slab for future installation. If you have a long enough snake yourself you could give it a go.
Yes, this.
Sorry my wording of "sump" was confussing.