Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

locate pipe under sod

I just removed a pool and there is some plastic drain pipe still in the ground. I might like to repurpose the pipe. I have two questions:

1) If this drain pipe is installed in a proper manner, it is connected to the treated waste water system or to the surface drain system?

2) What would be an easier way to follow its course under the sod, dig and follow or some other method. I wonder if it can be easily followed with a metal detector if some sort of cable is fished into it. I don't own a metal detector.

I suspect that this drain line is tied to ONE drain that is under ONE of my downspouts. Obviously, I'd like to confirm this too. All and all, it could require tracing up to 100' of pipe.

There are other drains for surface water on the property. I believe that they are an older, separate system.

Thanks for reading

ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,480

locate pipe under sod

1. Who knows? drain lines are used in both situations. BTW what size is the pipe?
2. You can use a sewer camera with a locating head.
Or a couple of divining rods. They work

Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

locate pipe under sod

you could also dye a bucket of water.

the divining rods work too. you can make homemade ones. we did this when we were kids to locate underground streams.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #4

locate pipe under sod

Thanks for contributing.

TheEplumber: Pipe size is 3-4 inch. I don't recall, but it is definitely bigger than 2”.

A sewer cam with a locating head is probably outside of my capabilities. They are probably expensive and even if I could rent one, I should probably be afraid that I will lose the business or otherwise damage it. OTOH, I guess I could dig it up to retrieve it at that point.

bbo: I don’t have access to the end that drains into the municipality lines.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

locate pipe under sod

I started back towards this project again this week. I stuck a hose in a clean out near where the pool was that is upstream of where I want to tap in. My aim was to see if the pipe is still clear before I start working. As I waited for a reasonable amount of water to run through it, I thought about how I might tell if the single downspout drain is tied to it.

My pipes then spoke to me. I walked over and listened to the inlet under the downspout and I could hear water running. After I tuned off the hose, the sound stopped. I repeated the process a couple of times so I am convinced that the pool and downspout used the same drain.

What I can see so far is a 4" line to the pool. It might increase in size after the downspout.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,530

locate pipe under sod

If that pipe is going to the storm do not tie in any sewage of any type into it. Storm is not treated to clean the water.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

locate pipe under sod

Also check local regulations regarding what can or can't be put into the storm water system. There are very few (if any) places that still allow rain water run off to be put into the sewage system. And many places now require that rain water be managed on-site first instead of being dumped to the street. This seems like a burden, but the run off from streets really does a lot to hard the watershed to where it eventually drains.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 542

locate pipe under sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
1. Who knows? drain lines are used in both situations. BTW what size is the pipe?
2. You can use a sewer camera with a locating head.
Or a couple of divining rods. They work
You're gonna start something, lol.

For what it's worth, I'm on your side...I've done it, and don't really care if people believe it or not.........but still....you're gonna start somethin'
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jproffer For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #9

locate pipe under sod

Thanks to both of you. There are two existing surface water drainage lines that serve my property. The one that I am writing about, plastic is the newer of the two. It catches only one downspout at this time. The old one, original to the house is another material. I have not investigated precisely what it is made of. It drains two downspouts and a catch basin in the driveway. There is, of course, a separate sewer line.

In my area, all the rain water gets pumped out sooner or later. Connections to the street drainage system for downspout and yard drainage are permitted and common.

Last edited by ionized; 04-29-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

locate pipe under sod

Guaranteed way to find a pipe in the front yard......give me a tree and tell me to go plant it somewhere. I will hit it the first time, every time. :P

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,138

locate pipe under sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
You're gonna start something, lol.

For what it's worth, I'm on your side...I've done it, and don't really care if people believe it or not.........but still....you're gonna start somethin'
I've tried it as well, and it doesn't work for "me". That doesn't mean I don't believe in it though, as one of my employees is darn good at locating water by using them...........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #12

locate pipe under sod

Yea it doesn't work for everyone. I've watched people do the same thing I did, using the same wires...mine crossed, there's didn't. I can't explain it either.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

locate pipe under sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
Yea it doesn't work for everyone. I've watched people do the same thing I did, using the same wires...mine crossed, there's didn't. I can't explain it either.
you need to have a soul to do this ...
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #14

locate pipe under sod

Maybe that's it.