DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Live water line adding valve

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joed 
#1 · (Edited)
Can't turn off 1/2" copper pipe water supply. How to add shutoff valve while water is running? Use a compression fitting or some type of slide on fitting with valve already attached? Also, the valve is not for a sink, toilet etc.... The water would continue through the copper pipe to the rest of the house. Thanks.

#4 ·
Add some more info and I'm sure someone can help.
If it's a city water line there has to be a shut near the street.
If on a well just shut the pump off and bleed the line down.

Reactions: gt1935
#3 ·
If it is really impossible to shut off the water supply, one option is to freeze the water upstream of the location you want to put the valve in. There are also special valves called insertion valves, which can be installed on a live line. Requires special equipment, so not really a DIY type of project.

#5 ·
Is there no existing valve on the line? Or is there a valve that cannot be shut off and continues to drip after shut off?

Really need more details.

#6 ·
Need to move pressure tank. It is well water. The current shutoff valve for the house is not close enough to the tank to shut water off and rearrange copper pipes. Wanted to avoid draining pressure tank. Seems I will need to.

It is a submersible pump which I understand is self priming. Just turn power back on to pump and water should flow. Also, one of the rubber hoses supplying the tank will probably be too short. By removing the hose and replacing with new this would not affect the self priming?

Steps to add shutoff valve
1)Turn power off to pump
2)Drain pressure tank of water
3)Install valve and new hose
4)Turn power back on and pump works automatically
Thanks

#7 ·
Steps to add shutoff valve
1)Turn power off to pump
2)Drain pressure tank of water
3)Install valve and new hose
4)Turn power back on and pump works automatically
Thanks
For a submersible pump this should work just fine. The pump is under water so no priming is needed.

Suggest you remove aerators from taps as you turn them on to bleed the air. Dirt sometimes gets released when pipes are drained and can clog the aerator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.