Liquid Septic Tank Full. How Do I Troubleshoot? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Liquid Septic Tank Full. How do I troubleshoot?

Hello. I am an electrician but not a plumber. My sand mound septic tank (not the solids tank) ifhigh and my tank alarm sounded. How do I troubleshoot the system whe it is under water? Should I drain it with a sump pump first or pulll up on the rope that is there? Is the pump hard piped to the draifield piping?

Thanks for your quick reply!

Advertisement

chains350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Unless you have a pump and a quality control panel for it, you won't be able to diagnose anything without emptying the tank. Don't just pump it out on the ground, you need to get a septic pumping company to empty the tank for you

Advertisement

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Thanks for your advice. I was able to troubleshoot and repair my system. I found out that the two floats were fastened to a piece of PVC pipe that was simply sitting vertically in the tank. I was able to pull it up far enough to then grab hold of the wiring bundle. After hosing it off, I began to follow the wiring and discovered that the hot wire had broken apart from it's connection. I was able to snip it back slightly and solder together and wrap in electrical tape.

What concerns me now is that I suspect that the other connections are not far behind from failure. I'd like to redo all the connections and wonder if there is a water resistant crimp connection available for damp locations such as this rather than the soldering and taping method that was used.

Does anyone have any advice on what works well for them?

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #4

i normally use shrink tubing with crimp connectors underneath, i've also used the 3m resin kits. didn't you say you're an electrician?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
WDR

Rewards Points: 75

I would use adhisive lined heat shrink tubing insted of tape, they have kits with connectors and heat shrink but I think solder would work just as well as the connector.
WDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

Yes, I was an electrician 22 years ago. I now play with microprocessors and PLCs and admit that I'm a bit rusty to what might be availalble these days. I just thought that there might be a standard way of attaching these wires that my builder didn't know about. I really appreciate your suggestions. I think I remember a connector that was used in alarm system wiring that had some type of electrical grease inside the connector to keep the moisture out. I don't know if they made a size for this cable or not.......
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains350 View Post
Yes, I was an electrician 22 years ago. I now play with microprocessors and PLCs and admit that I'm a bit rusty to what might be availalble these days. I just thought that there might be a standard way of attaching these wires that my builder didn't know about. I really appreciate your suggestions. I think I remember a connector that was used in alarm system wiring that had some type of electrical grease inside the connector to keep the moisture out. I don't know if they made a size for this cable or not.......
lol i was giving you a hard time i'd stay away from the wire nut that come with grease inside, and obviously electrical tape is not going to be waterproof. I get these really nice shrink tubing kits from my pump supplier, don't remember who makes em but they work great, and the resin kits are pretty foolproof too. maybe go down to platt or some other electrical supplier and ask what they've got for waterproof connections

Advertisement