Lingering Sink Strainer Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lingering sink strainer leak

A little background here:

I acquired an older mobile home and am in the process of making it livable.

One of the problems I quickly encountered was that the sink strainer leaked like a sieve.

I pulled the strainer out, used silicone around the sink hole (plumbers putty said not to use on plastic and my strainer is very much plastic) and I havent had a leak in that area since.

The problem lies in the small coupling that comes up and screws onto the bottom of the strainer.

It is a piece of flanged pvc pipe about 6-7 inches long, and then a rubber gasket that goes between the flange and the bottom of the strainer, then a nut to screw it all together.

It leaked like crazy after the initial repair, and it looked like the rubber gasket had seen better days, so I bought a new one, slapped it together. Tested it out real quick and no leaks....but as time went on and I used the sink more and more it has started leaking very slowly...but leaking nonetheless.

It has had me scratching my head and the only thing ive noticed that could cause a problem is that the flange on the pvc pipe is ever so slightly warped in one place.

I even went so far after some frustration as to apply RTV to both sides of the gasket...my shadetree mechanic skills have branched into plumbing I guess.

But even with RTV...it still dribbles out ever so often if there is a steady flow of water coming through.

Any other ideas? Im afraid I may have to get a new strainer, new piece of PVC and start all over, but Im certainly dreading that notion.

Advertisement

littlehoov87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehoov87 View Post
A little background here:

I acquired an older mobile home and am in the process of making it livable.

One of the problems I quickly encountered was that the sink strainer leaked like a sieve.

I pulled the strainer out, used silicone around the sink hole (plumbers putty said not to use on plastic and my strainer is very much plastic) and I havent had a leak in that area since.

The problem lies in the small coupling that comes up and screws onto the bottom of the strainer.

It is a piece of flanged pvc pipe about 6-7 inches long, and then a rubber gasket that goes between the flange and the bottom of the strainer, then a nut to screw it all together.

It leaked like crazy after the initial repair, and it looked like the rubber gasket had seen better days, so I bought a new one, slapped it together. Tested it out real quick and no leaks....but as time went on and I used the sink more and more it has started leaking very slowly...but leaking nonetheless.

It has had me scratching my head and the only thing ive noticed that could cause a problem is that the flange on the pvc pipe is ever so slightly warped in one place.

I even went so far after some frustration as to apply RTV to both sides of the gasket...my shadetree mechanic skills have branched into plumbing I guess.

But even with RTV...it still dribbles out ever so often if there is a steady flow of water coming through.

Any other ideas? Im afraid I may have to get a new strainer, new piece of PVC and start all over, but Im certainly dreading that notion.

And i'll bet you used the original strainer,break down and buy all new parts,then put it together and i'd almost bet the problem is solved.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 580

That cheap plastic strain should have been thrown in the trash.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If that was my sink, I would bite the bullet and replace it with a metal drain. Then use plumber's putty as the gasket of choice between the sink and drain.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,542

yep do just that ..what everyone said...problem solved,...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote