Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #1

Share |

For licensed and insured pro's!

My wife was looking thru a catalog yesterday and saw a bathtub for $39,500 and a question came to my mind.

If every thing was the same would you charge more to install a tub of this cost versus a normal price tub? If so why? If not why? I know there is a lot more liability, but that is what insurance is for right? I know most insurance is based on the $$ amount your business does and claim history.

Just curious what every bodies opinion is and why. Also just to let you know my wife is not buying that tub!!

Gary

Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

While this site is not for learning or asking for pricing and it is for DIY'ing

I will say

If I was to see the tub and it was apples to apples the price does not change just because the tub cost $39k

But if we were looking at apples and you wanted oranges then the price could change

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

I have this conversation a lot. All else being equal (weight, size, installation requirements, etc), the labor would be the same. But I doubt a $39k bathtub weighs the same or gets installed the same. So the labor may in fact be higher.

Also, if i'm buying that item, I still mark it up a fixed percentage to cover overhead and profit. So a more expensive item still gets marked up the same as a less expensive item. However, I get a significant discount as a heavy buyer of these items, so even with my mark up applied, the cost the client sees is still on par with what he'd pay retail. That's an incentive the distributor uses to entice the contractor to keep coming back and buying the products he carries. Example: the copper tube I buy from my pipe distributor is half to 2/3 the price I'd pay at Home Depot as a walk in consumer.

But personally, I don't like buying the really big ticket items for a job. I'd rather have the client buy it, or pay up front. It cuts down the demand on my cash flow, and cash flow is king.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #4

Two good answers so far,any more?

Gary
Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Residential Remodeler

I don't see how much of anything would be the same on a $39k tub and let's say a $500 kohler....

Just a few thoughts come to mind:

the added cost of jobsite security (you can't leave that tub overnight, unattended); gold plating (I am assuming at $39k it is gold-plated) requires special handling; at that price they probably want someone to bathe them (and I am not volunteering), so factor in a guy at $45k/yr....

The cost of that tub gets sky high...
CookeCarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #6

Any link to a pic of the tub?
That's more then my last house cost me
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
It is the Arbor Tub. http://www.beckwithinteriors.com/collection.php

Gary
Old 10-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #8

It's been my experience that installing high end products does cost more. Not necessarily proportional to the cost of the product, but generally more.

The reason being:
  • It's usually a none standard product
  • The install must be absolutely perfect
  • Protection of a surrounding area is usually extensive
  • Liability is greater
  • Skills to execute are specialized, thus warranting greater pay

That is one very beautiful bath tub though.

Last edited by ArmchairDIY; 10-21-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Typing like I'm wearing mittens
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairDIY View Post
It's been my experience that installing high end products does cost more. Not necessarily proportional to the cost of the product, but generally more.

The reason being:
  • It's usually a none standard product
  • The install must be absolutely perfect
  • Protection of a surrounding area is usually extensive
  • Liability is greater
  • Skills to execute are specialized, thus warranting greater pay

That is one very beautiful bath tub though.
Good answers!
#1 I can understand.
#2 Yes! But should not all installs be?
#3There again I understand to a certain point.
#4 Does your insurance go up that much more? What about a bad joint that leaks on the second floor of a house and requires you to replace the drywall and carpeting?
#5 Yes that may be, does that mean you have to hire someone at a greater pay then an apprentice,do you sub it, or do you do it yourself?

I am not saying that anybody is right or wrong on their thoughts, just wondering.

Gary
Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

For $39,500 that tub had better do something real nice to me whenever I get in it.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
For $39,500 that tub had better do something real nice to me whenever I get in it.
For 39.5k my wife should be nice to me!(Wait a minute I can't afford it, never mind)!

Gary
Old 10-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I don't know about a link to see a picture. But you could probably see a life size model of a Golden (or Gilded) bathtub in one of the Museums of London or Paris, that served the Royals 2 Centuries ago!!! (No matter what) don't drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Before I'd even attempt to give a price to install that tub, I'd have to review the spec sheet on it. Though it is a VERY nice tub it does look like it could be a fairly typical installation. However, we all know that looks can quite often be deceiving. I will say that I charge more to install say a cast iron tub than a steel or fiberglass unit. The difference being.....hell have you ever tried getting a 400lb tub up a flight of steps? After that getting this 400lb bad boy that is 60" long into a space that is 60-1/2" long? Whew. lol
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
.hell have you ever tried getting a 400lb tub up a flight of steps? After that getting this 400lb bad boy that is 60" long into a space that is 60-1/2" long? Whew. lol
No kidding! You could knock one of the diamonds off it!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_602z View Post
Good answers!
#1 I can understand.
#2 Yes! But should not all installs be?
#3There again I understand to a certain point.
#4 Does your insurance go up that much more? What about a bad joint that leaks on the second floor of a house and requires you to replace the drywall and carpeting?
#5 Yes that may be, does that mean you have to hire someone at a greater pay then an apprentice,do you sub it, or do you do it yourself?

I am not saying that anybody is right or wrong on their thoughts, just wondering.

Gary
#2 Everything in construction must meet minimum standards ie. building codes. Unfortunately everything in life is not always perfect. I hate to be the one to say it out loud, but someone who spends $40,000 on a tub is going to pay very close attention to every little detail and they will get it. Don't get me wrong, someone who payed $500 for there tub still deserves quality work and professional service. It's a matter of degree and expectations, be they real or perceived.
#4 The liability factor comes into play in very high end situations because at times there are priceless or un-replaceable or highly custom items around. It's not always as simple as calling your insurance agent and running down to the lumber yard or furniture store to replace a damaged item. Artwork, antiques, custom commissioned furniture pieces, are just a few things that come to mind.
#5 Often times contractors or subcontractors work years to build a reputation has having the skills and knowledge to work on high end specialized projects. Increased fees and pay scales are the reward for doing so.

I don't believe for a minute that high end customers are the only ones who deserve quality work and courteous service. But there most definitely are different considerations depending on they type of projects you are working on.
By the same logic I don't think that just because customer A pays ten times more for a bathtub than customer B, the install for customer A's tub should be ten times more.

ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote