Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Toe

Share |
Question

Lever faucet loose; poor flow

Hi.

I have a bathroom lever faucet on which the lever has started functioning poorly.

It is a little wobbly and the flow is very reduced (an identical faucet next to it works fine). It is about 2-3 years old.

Can someone tell me what to do to identify the source of the problem? Everything I find online is about leaking faucets, and this does not leak. It is just not flowing well.

Thanks.

Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Household Handyman

IF you are talking about a "single lever" unit, and I bet you are: Some of these units are notorious for having internal parts come loose just enough to let the cartridge rotate to cause this problem. I'm betting it's a Moen . It's really a simple fix: you remove the handle, there is a way, different models have different methods so I cannot tell you how yours is. After removing the handle you will probaly find a type of screw-on ring on top of the cartridge that must align with the cartridge to seat the cartridge properly. These rings usually have two or four slots in them for a special tool to use, I very carefully use the end of a screwdriver and tap the end of the screwdriver to loosen it or tighten it. It's not a part of an bulldozer, so it doesn't have to be extremly tight. Without a model number or picture, that's about the best I can do, I hope this helps. IF you know the manufacturer and/or model number you may be able to Google it for an installation manual which will have this information pertaining to your specific unit. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Toe

Yes, it is a single-lever, and it is a Delta. And, ahem, the problem turned out to be much simpler than I was making it out to be.

In fact, it was two separate problems. The screw holding the lever was a little loose, resulting in the loose feel of the lever. The reduced flow was simply a clogged screen.

Tightening the screw and cleaning the screen fixed it up right good.
Toe is offline   Reply With Quote