Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #1

Share |

level or not level toilet?

Im going to install my new toilet,and i put it over the flange to see how it looks.The problem im having is that its not level.When i leveled it from front to back it was about 3/8 off.At the back of the toilet its higher than the front, so the gap would be at the front.My question is do i put the toilet completly on the floor but be off level or do i get it level or close to level and caulk around the gap at the bottom?

Thx

ron0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Mix some plaster of pairs and put on the floor under where the bowl is going to be installed. set the toilet down in place and level the toilet on the wet plaster. I push the bowl down into the plaster and wax seal until level and then snug up the hold down nuts. and I then wipe up the excess plaster.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #3

Use plastic toilet shims to level the toilet. You can then use caulking or grout to seal around the base to hide the gap. I recommend not sealing the very back of the bowl, so if there is a leak it will show and not let water sit under the toilet and rot the subfloor.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Use plastic toilet shims to level the toilet. You can then use caulking or grout to seal around the base to hide the gap. I recommend not sealing the very back of the bowl, so if there is a leak it will show and not let water sit under the toilet and rot the subfloor.
thx ill do that
ron0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #5

I suggest having the toilet supporting means (plaster, shims, etc.) hard and in place and tested first then take off the toilet, put in the wax seal, and do the final installation.

Putting in the wax ring while the plaster is still wet is risky because as you rock the toilet back and forth to get the plaster leveled just right, you may deform the wax too much and break the seal.

If you don't level the toilet at all then it might not flush properly.