Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

Leaving house in winter

Is the best thing to do in this situation shut off the main, and open all faucets/valves both hot and cold? As i understand it water will not flow (not even hot, due to no water pressure?) but it will give the water room to expand if necessary?

If we are opening up the pipes, any reason to set the heat to 60 over say, 55?

pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #2

Leaving house in winter

Both ideas are good ideas, make sure to bleed the lines from every fixture until they run dry. 55 degrees is sufficient.

zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #3

Leaving house in winter

also a good idea to dump some antifreeze into the traps & toilets just in case the heat goes off,,, don't ask me how i know this, i just know
yes.itsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Whatamess

Leaving house in winter

I would not use antifreeze but pour some alcohol in the toilet,toilet tank and all drains. A stop and drain valve would be a good thing to install.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

Leaving house in winter

To properly gravity-drain home water supply lines, turn off the power or gas to the water heater and turn off the main water supply valve, open all hot and cold taps from the highest (for air) to the lowest (outside spigots) to drain the supply system by gravity. If it has dips in the lines for water to collect, you may want to use a portable air tank or compressor to blow them out.
You don't have to drain the water heater completely down, but attach a water hose to the drain valve at the bottom and open the T&P valve for air. If electric, make certain that it is competely filled with water before restoring electrical power or you'll melt the elements.
Do NOT use auto antifreeze, which is very poisonous. Use RV antifreeze, which is not, and is made for the purpose. (RV anti-freeze is less than $5 bucks a gallon and available at auto parts stores, for one source.)
Flush the toilets, and pour RV AF in the residual water left in the bowl (built-in trap) and tank. Pour enough RV AF into each sink drain trap (kitchen, bathrooms, utility), all showers and tubs, and don't forget the washing machine stand pipe trap.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote