Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Leaky wall drain/P trap connection, help please!

I just replaced the kitchen sink with a double bowl sink along with a new garbage disposer. I replaced all the drains, too. Upon completion i turned on the water and found a small drip leak (about 1 drip every 30 seconds) where the P trap connects to the wall drain. The house was built in the 50's so the wall drain is metal. I purchased the standard pvc plumbing kit from Home Depot and installed the plastic/rubber washer around the pipe before tightenig down the collar. I've tried everything from taking a wire brush and cleaning the metal pipe and reinstalling to just cranking down tight and still can't get it to stop. Should i throw some pipe dope on it? Any other suggestions? I've spent the last 3 hours trying to stop the drip and i'm on the verge of calling in an expert.

MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #2

normally this happens when the galv. pipe does not have an even edge. If you've got a few inches of pipe sticking out, cut off the threads, get a nohub coupling an abs trap adapter and a couple inches of pipe. Connect the abs to the galvy with the nohub, and it'll work perfect

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
normally this happens when the galv. pipe does not have an even edge. If you've got a few inches of pipe sticking out, cut off the threads, get a nohub coupling an abs trap adapter and a couple inches of pipe. Connect the abs to the galvy with the nohub, and it'll work perfect
Thanks for the response. Is it absolutely necessary to cut off the threads? Or can I put the nohub right over the threads and sealed with pipe dope?
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #4

don't need the dope on a nohub. the only reason i cut em off is because threads are tapered and you won't get as good of a connection at the end of em. If it holds without cutting and you have the room under the cabinet go nuts
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 20

Before you do any cutting or go for the no-hub, try this:

Use Teflon tape on the threads, put the trap arm in place, slide the compression washer into place against the metal pipe. Now wrap Teflon tape over the washer and end of the pipe. Slide the trap nut back and tighten- but do not over tighten.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Instead of the nylon compression ring--metal to plastic usually uses a rubber compression ring---look in the fitting display and you will find one--Mike---

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote