Leaky Valve... Really Frustrated. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaky valve... really frustrated.

I am plumbing a new shower with multiple shower heads. One of the Grohe 3/4" volume control rough valves has a very small leak. The valve has female threads, which I have connect a 3/4" copper male threaded fitting. I've disassembled and reassembled it twice already. Is there any way to stopped the leak without having to disassemble everything. I really don't feel like having to cut the pipe, drain all the water from the lines to be able to connect the valve threads again.

BTW, I am using Rectorseal pipe dope on the threaded connections. I gooped it on pretty thick on both male and femeale threads and tighten them up good. The other two valves and thermostatic control valve are leak free so I am not sure why this one is giving me such a task.

Advertisement

anonymouscuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

Try teflon tape along with the Rectorseal.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

You may have heated the threaded fitting while soldering near by--Use tape and dope and solder as far away as possible---wrap a wet rag around the pipe and fitting to keep it cool.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #4

Mike... Wouldn't doubt that I did heat too much. It's pretty tight. I did use the wet rag but still, probably got too hot.

It's really a slow leak. Almost more like the thread is sweating than a leak. I watch it for over 10 minutes and it wasn't enough to form a drop in that time. I'm going to watch it overnight to see if it stops. If still wet tomorrow I will have to break down and redo it.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Heating near a threaded fitting causes the fitting to swell and squeeze out the dope----

On nasty spots like that --there have been times that I have--drilled and rerouted the piping--
added a union---used a compression fitting--sworn like a drunken sailor--

You will find a way--don't get your hopes up on the drip going away--You know you will be redoing it--

Good luck----Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #6

While muttering 100's of curse words under my breath, I shut the water off, cut the pipe, drained the water, unsoldered the fitting, gouped it up again with pipe dope, rethreaded it, soldered everthing back up and turned the water back on. So far, no leaks. Did this last night. At the office now so we'll see if it's still leak-free when I go home for lunch.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouscuban For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-26-2010)