Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Leaky Toilet Tank Valve

So I've got a leak in my toilet tank. It's not leaking around the flapper valve (I've tried two replacements). I suspect its leaking around the base of that assembly where it attaches to the tank. It's a slow leak that slowing drains the tank into the toilet so that around every five minutes the tank fill valve opens and tops the tank back up. My problem is the toilet is a one piece affair with the toilet and tank being one casting. I can't figure out how to remove the flapper valve assembly from the tank. If I open the valve, I can see a plastic piece underneath which I assume is what the assembly is fastened to. Anyone have any idea of how to change one of these things?
Thanks in advance!

Tuckahoe Sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #2

Leaky Toilet Tank Valve

Raise the flapper and see if there is a screw head in the center.I had one, but it was brass, and it had a "bar" going across the opening that was tightened with the screw. If you unscrewed it, you could tilt the whole assembly and remove it.

Tuckahoe Sparkplug (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Leaky Toilet Tank Valve

Thanks for the tip, but I think I finally figured it out. The tank was filling up nearly to the top of the overflow tube. It seems the water was syphoning out of the tank and discharging thru the fill tube that is poked down in the overflow tube. I adjusted the float to stop the fill about an inch below the top of the overflow tube and the problem seems to be resolved (at least I hope ).
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Leaky Toilet Tank Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckahoe Sparkplug View Post
Thanks for the tip, but I think I finally figured it out. The tank was filling up nearly to the top of the overflow tube. It seems the water was syphoning out of the tank and discharging thru the fill tube that is poked down in the overflow tube. I adjusted the float to stop the fill about an inch below the top of the overflow tube and the problem seems to be resolved (at least I hope ).

That should fix it. To be sure, make sure that the bowl primer tube isn't down INTO the overflow at all. It should just be clipped barely to the top of the overflow. This happens a lot when people change out their own fill valve, they just jam the whole thing down there because it's too long.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Leaky Toilet Tank Valve

Yep...that's what I did.