Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #1

Share |

leaky SS threaded fittings

Hi:

I have noticed lately that I am having issues with using Teflon tape on Stainless steel threaded connections. I don't know what has changed, but I am finding that I have to use paste as well, Teflon based. Too many leaks with only tape..... So, I have been applying dope to the female and male threads. Than on the male I put a couple of wraps of Teflon over the paste... The combo seems to be doing the trick. But, I am wondering if I would be better off on just using the Teflon based paste and eliminate the tape...?? Potable water connections BTW...
Your thoughts...

.....Bill

fcfcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Many years of working with SS piping materials have taught me that SS cut/threads like no other metal, or course. I also adapted the practice of using Teflon based pipe dope on the threads and a few wraps of a high quality pipe tape (usually the blue colored) on the male end. And mind you, I have worked with up to two inch (2") threaded SS piping. The threads on the male ends of SS piping tend to be sharper than basic black pipe, or galvanized piping, brass can be sharp also, and I believe this tends to cut the tape so it lays into the thread roots too low. Just my opinion. You're method is working, so keep using it. AND--being as this is potable water connections, flush the lines well.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... I switched to using pretty much nothing but teflon based pipe paste, Years ago...
I've had alot less leaks since dropping the tape...

SSteel on SSteel will gall, 'n drag terribly sometimes, the paste lubes it well....
SSteel, 'n any other metal, Always goes smoother, fer Me anyways...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote