Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to profenx
Share |

Leaky sprinkler problem

Hello ppl

I ran into a sprinkler that has been giving me trouble so I haven't been using it. It is under a slab with an irrigation cover. The sprinkler ends with a 12 outlet drip system (only using 4 outlets). The water drips out fine from the 4 used.

The sprinkler is leaking when on and fills the irrigation cover. Also worried about water running under the slab and to the house. How do i get it to stop leaking? Can it be replaced (but the cover is so small it would make replacing any part of the unit difficult so this is a last resort)?

The screw on the left seems to open and shut water from where the leak is. I can't remove the screw. I was thinking of replacing it with a metal one? It's plastic and almost started to break when I attempted to close it really tight. When closed water still comes out of the thing on the right, but slower.

It was already installed when i moved into the house. I've read about sprinklers but they all look different from this one. What type is it?

Appreciate any help i can get!

Thanks!
profenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #2

Leaky sprinkler problem

anyone?

How about what kind of sprinkler to replace this with? Do i need to replace the whole thing or just the part that is leaky when on?

The screw i've been turning turns out to be a flow control. So lowering the flow obviously lowers the leaking area, but still i get enough water dripping from the outlets.

Would appreciate any info on this.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Leaky sprinkler problem

I believe the device on the right, with the "TORO" label on it, is you "back-flow prevention device" or BPD. This is to prevent any residual water in the sprinkler system from back-feeding into your water supply, well or municipal. It appears that directly under this BPD is a union, and I'm thinking (trying to remember) that just to the left of the BPD is a black plastic union. Taking these two unions loose will allow the BPD to be removed. These BPD's are notorious for getting a very small piece of grit, calcium, whatever, in them and creating a leak. Some models can be taken apart for cleaning. And yes, the screw is a "flow control adjustment", controlling the flow/amount (not pressure) of water emitted from the drip system.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
profenx (12-19-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #4

Leaky sprinkler problem

finally a reply! thanks!

Ok been looking for a BPD but they are all ... nearly double the size. Maybe i'll hit a small garden center or something. This thing is pretty small compared to my regular sprinklers in the front ... so i had no clue what it was. I'm gonna see if i can rip it apart to fix ... but the cap doesn't seem to come off. i guess it's not a serviceable part.

Thanks!