Leaky Radiator Valves - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaky radiator valves

Have just tried to get British Gas to provide an insurance cover (3*, I think) for heating, plumbing etc.

They came to do a visual check and, before looking at boiler, said they couldn't proceed because we have two leaking valves that must be fixed first. Bearing in mind I want the policy because I can't get a plumber, i need to do it myself. The Br. Gas man mentioned something about tightening the packer (?) but wouldn't say more.

I unscrewed the cover for the bit that turns off the rad, but could only see that I'd be turning the thing that actually isolates the rad.

Could someone please descibe to a simplton, what I need to do to eradicate the leak. By the way, the other leaking rad does not have a cover with a screw in the top; I'm not sure how to remove this one. Please help.

Advertisement

imported_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Leaky radiator valves

Hi

When you take off the cover there should be a hexagon where the shaft goes into the valve body. The shaft rotates inside this hex nut which is used to compress the packer around the shaft to ensure a seal. You need to get a spanner and tighten the hex nut clockwise just enough to stop the leak. If you overtighten it you will find that the shaft is very stiff to turn.
There may be just 2 spanner flats instead of a hex nut but it operates in the same way.

I assume that the cover without the screw is just a push fit onto the shaft and should pull off but might be a bit stiff!

Hope this helps

shufti

Advertisement

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote