Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

leaky kitchen sink drain - simply a case of tightening the joint?

My kitchen sink drain is leaking mildly to moderately around where the vertical metal pipe joins with the white plastic part. It seems to be a joint you can tighten, as it has "grips", but I'm pretty sure it has sealant in place, so I can't turn it without breaking the seal. Even without the sealant, I'd be hesitant to tighten it, as it may make matters worse by causing damage somehow (at least in my mind).

I'd like to make it clear that the leak is nowhere near the P-trap, but well before it, in the vertical (coupling?) section of the piping.

So how can I fix the leak? Should I just try tightening the joint? If so, will I need to get some new sealant? Or should I just apply a bunch of sealant in the general area without any tightening?

pro_DIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Sounds like a 1.5" compression nut on the tailpiece. Your best option is to replace it. Very simple to do. You can purchase a new nut and washer in a bag at a hardware store.
Put a shallow bucket under the trap and disassemble as needed to replace the leaking part. No sealant is needed.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #3

What tools do I need to do this, besides maybe a wrench? I got no clue as it stands, as I've never taken apart pipes of any kind. I'm kinda worried about it to be honest.

I'd just call my landlord, but I tend to get very anxious when strangers enter my flat, so I'm opting to fix it myself (it's not a big fix in the end, and I'm a DIYer by nature anyway).

Also, for further clarification, the leak seems to be at the bottom of the tailpiece, just above the slip nut, as shown in this diagram:

Last edited by pro_DIYer; 07-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

So I got a slip nut and washer in a bag for a few dollars. It says it's made for 1.25 inch to 1.5 inch pipes, which sounds a bit weird (how can it fit two different sizes?). Is this normal?

Also: it says it's for ABS pipes, but I think the pipe I will be fitting it on is PVC. I'm not sure. Does this matter?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

You should find 2 washers in the bag- 1 for 1.5" and 1 for 1.25x1.5" If not then you got the wrong bag- which I suspect. Everything on a kitchen sink should be 1.5"
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #6

There may be two washers in the bag to be honest. The washer looked like it had an indentation, but now that you mention it, it may have been two washers, one inside the other. And yea, I thought the same about the 1.5 inch rule with kitchen sinks.

Can you give me some basic advice on how to approach dismantling the pipes? Like obviously I have to dismantle a point lower than the point that needs fixing, to allow slack to remove/add fittings, right?

I realize these are basic questions, but I have little to no experience with plumbing.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Some old stuff in this area is 1.25"
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_DIYer View Post
Can you give me some basic advice on how to approach dismantling the pipes? Like obviously I have to dismantle a point lower than the point that needs fixing, to allow slack to remove/add fittings, right?

I realize these are basic questions, but I have little to no experience with plumbing.
Using the handy diagram you posted in #3, start from the P trap and work your way back up towards the sink. Put a pot underneath the P trap to catch the water in there before it's removal.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #9

I got a bit of a problem here.

It seems like the top end of the tailpiece is loose. Like it literally wiggles when manipulated, and when it does, water drops down (and it looks a bit grey/metallic in colour). I'm guessing this isn't supposed to happen. It seems like the part that screws onto the threads of the upper housing got detached somehow, perhaps due to corrosion.

Looks like I have to get a new tailpiece entirely? Or perhaps an adapter? I saw some plastic ones at the store today. Will those do? The current tailpiece is brass (I think).

This is rather surprising, considering this building is relatively new.

Last edited by pro_DIYer; 07-25-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #10

All the drain parts you see under the sink is available in plastic. They will interchange.
Take the old piece with you to the store

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #11

As it turns out, the tailpiece was fine. The top slip nut just needed tightening.

I actually ended up using what I think was the 1.25" washer for the bottom end. It fit better for some reason. The bottom end never even had a washer to begin with, which is probably why it was leaking.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #12

everything without a thread is hand tight with a slight wrench 1/4 turn plastic or brass.little teflon on the bras if pitted won't hurt.sacrifice a plastic tupperware container under that trap...so it catches drips or not for wekk of normal useage

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote