Leaky Hot Water Heater - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Leaky Hot water heater

I have a Model BFG1A4034T3NOV hot water heater I purchased 3yrs ago from Lowes. It developed a leak right above where the controls are. The leak started slowly a few days ago and last night it was very fast. I shut off the gas, and water and then drained the tank so as not to continue to flood my basement. I opened the control panel (see pics) as I thought that is where the leak was coming from since it was running down the wires to where the flame comes out. I couldn't align the control panel cover properly to get it back on. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by a guy who is not very handy (me)? How do I fix the leak?
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky Hot water heater-20131020_214842.jpg   Leaky Hot water heater-20131021_071938.jpg   Leaky Hot water heater-20131021_072004.jpg   Leaky Hot water heater-20131021_072011.jpg   Leaky Hot water heater-20131021_072022.jpg  

Advertisement

Saveme$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,386

Leaky Hot water heater

Just a suggestion, I would start by calling the manufacturer on the hwh, at only 3 years old, it's probably still under warantee. Or call Lowes and ask them, you should still be in their data base. Could possibly save you some money. If the tank itself is leaking/cracked, etc., there is no fixing it, it must be replaced.

Are you sure leak is coming from the control area and not dripping down from above somewhere? Please post another pic of the top of hwh. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by jmon; 10-21-2013 at 09:34 AM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

Leaky Hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Just a suggestion, I would start by calling the manufacturer on the hwh, at only 3 years old, it's probably still under warantee. Or call Lowes and ask them, you should still be in their data base. Could possibly save you some money. If the tank itself is leaking/cracked, etc., there is no fixing it, it must be replaced.

Are you sure leak is coming from the control area and not dripping down from above somewhere? Please post another pic of the top of hwh. Thanks.

I'll give Lowes a call.

I'm at work and can't take more pics until tonight. I assumed that the heater was dripping from the controls.... perhaps leaking somewhere within the lining. I'll call Lowes. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saveme$ For This Useful Post:
jmon (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

Leaky Hot water heater

Yes they started using these gas valves from Honeywell a few years ago... The old ones used to have iron pipe threads that would thread into the water heater now its plastic. So if you put this in and wrenched in the gas without holding back on it you might have cracked those threads going into the water heater.
Benplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benplumbing For This Useful Post:
jmon (10-21-2013), Saveme$ (10-23-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

Leaky Hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benplumbing View Post
Yes they started using these gas valves from Honeywell a few years ago... The old ones used to have iron pipe threads that would thread into the water heater now its plastic. So if you put this in and wrenched in the gas without holding back on it you might have cracked those threads going into the water heater.

I never took off the control. I took the case off the top, but that's it. IT is a honeywell control, I just haven't lined up the taps the right way to pop it back on. I see the threaded thingy onto tank but I did not mess with it.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

Leaky Hot water heater

No I'm talking about when you initially installed the water heater ..when you installed the gas line to the water heater
Benplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benplumbing For This Useful Post:
Saveme$ (10-23-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Leaky Hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveme$ View Post
I see the threaded thingy onto tank but I did not mess with it.
Agree with Ben, check and see if it's leaking from threads. Go from there. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Saveme$ (10-23-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #8

Leaky Hot water heater

If the thread is is leaking, can it be repaired?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Leaky Hot water heater

If it's leaking from the hwh threads, you can remove gas control valve and reinstall it using tape and pipe dope on threads, use both. Do not overtighten.

However, if the plastic threaded part from the honeywell gas control valve that threads into the hwh is cracked, as Ben has pointed out, you may have to replace the entire gas control valve, as most are a sealed unit that screw right into the hwh. Again, this may be covered under your warantee, so check first and save money. Can you confirm exactly where the leak is for us? Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 10-21-2013 at 08:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Saveme$ (10-23-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Leaky Hot water heater

Call the manufacture its probably leaking from the temp probe, they will send you a new control. had one a few years ago leaking from there.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
jmon (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #11

Leaky Hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Call the manufacture its probably leaking from the temp probe, they will send you a new control. had one a few years ago leaking from there.
I out water into the tank. The water appears to be coming from the control panel. I guess the probe... I can't see where else it would be coming from. Water drips out from under the the control panel.

How hard is this job to do?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Retired Army Veteran

Leaky Hot water heater

Quote:
Medium to hard for a diy that's never done it before. About a 1 hour job for a pro. Expect to pay 200-300 dollars just for labor as this varies depending upon location. You can call a couple of local certified plumbers in your area for quotes, etc.

Call manufacturer first to save money as this may all be covered with zero out of pocket to you. So don't touch anything till you find out for sure or you may void your warantee. The part may be covered, but the labor may not be. check with manufacturer or call Lowes and let us know. Thanks.

If part is covered but labor is not, here are the steps (click on link below); Read over them and see if you can handle this project by yourself. Remember, you will have to disconnect the gas line, so be carefull.

how to replace honeywell gas control valve.

Last edited by jmon; 10-22-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

Leaky Hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Medium to hard for a diy that's never done it before. About a 1 hour job for a pro. Expect to pay 200-300 dollars just for labor as this varies depending upon location. You can call a couple of local certified plumbers in your area for quotes, etc.

Call manufacturer first to save money as this may all be covered with zero out of pocket to you. So don't touch anything till you find out for sure or you may void your warantee. The part may be covered, but the labor may not be. check with manufacturer or call Lowes and let us know. Thanks.

If part is covered but labor is not, here are the steps (click on link below); Read over them and see if you can handle this project by yourself. Remember, you will have to disconnect the gas line, so be carefull.

Thanks. Im going to call the manufacture and see whats what.
jmon (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Retired Army Veteran

Leaky Hot water heater

Quote:
On the gas line going into the control valve, there should be a big union for a quick disconnect. Depending on location, there should also be a 3-6 inch drip leg (see link for details), good idea to put one there anyway if there's not one already there. If not, I would hire a pro. Adding a drip leg will bump up the labor and parts charge. Can you post another pic of gas line going into control valve for us. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 10-22-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #15

Leaky Hot water heater

When I get home I'll take a pick of gas line.

Advertisement

jmon (10-22-2013)