Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

Share |

Leaky ball valve at incoming water line

I have leaky ball valve at the main water line for sprinkler system. I need to sut the main valve for water coming in the home. However, when I sut the main water valve, all the water in the home pipeline and sprinkler system, water heater MAY rush out. Do I need to empty all water before I cut and remove old leaky valve? I am considering replacing the faulty valve with sharkbite 22185-0000 ball valve 3/4". I also intend to use the sharkbite fitting to connect water line from main water line to Water Powered back up sump pump. Please advice me (i) shutting the main water line coming in the home would require empting water from home lines and water heater? (ii) How secure are the sharkbite fittings to use near high pressure water line coming in the home?
Bipin1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

You will have to drain the water from the house lines. Try to get as much out from your lowest point (outside hose, etc) and then cut to drain. That'll also confirm that your main valve works.

If there is a valve on the cold inlet pipe at the hot water heater, shut that off and it won't drain as much.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt03 View Post
You will have to drain the water from the house lines. Try to get as much out from your lowest point (outside hose, etc) and then cut to drain. That'll also confirm that your main valve works.

If there is a valve on the cold inlet pipe at the hot water heater, shut that off and it won't drain as much.
What he said is the way----no need to drain water heater.

I've never used a Shark Bite type of fitting so I'll leave that up to others to comment.

I trust a soldered joint and never would consider any other connection on a main line ---Mike----
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

I recommend shark bits pricey but worth it haven't heard of leaks and there life span is long like 20 years or so. The 3/4" line runs off the main? how far out from water heater? There are no other shut off valves on Main line?
Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Thank you for suggestions. The valves are for sprinkler system and water powered sump pump. I have already connected plumbing using shark bits fittings. They were very easy to install and at this time leak free. I just opened water faucet in my basement sink to remove pressure before cutting old faulty valve plumbing.
Bipin1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bipin1948 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-29-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #6

Name:  image-3144369493.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  21.6 KB

3 shark bites I installed today the prior T was leaking and the left was also leaking I do suggest if anyone uses them make shore the pipes are plumb if there crooked they will leak this was ideal since I had to do this trough the lazy Susan in the kitchen.

HP Properties Capital Projects
Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote