Leaking Water Main Shutoff Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking water main shutoff valve

Hello!

I was about to get started on replacing a leaky laundry tub faucet, which was going to be an easy fix, even for a relatively new DIYer like myself. Went to turn off the main water supply inside the house and it started leaking at (1). The leaking stopped when I open the valve back up. I then did some searching on the internet and found that tightening the packing nut may solve the issue. As I applied pressure to the packing nut, I got some minor leaking from (2), which stopped when I stopped applying pressure.

Am I right in assuming that this might be a job for a more experienced plumber, or is there something else I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking water main shutoff valve-main-water-shutoff.jpg  

Advertisement

Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,596

If you're tightening the packing nut at (1) and your leaking at the meter connection(2) then you must have a bad meter gasket. It looks like a large hose bib washer. Contact your water company to replace it.

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 640

And replace that old gate valve with a Ball valve, as well as any old steel fittings.
Is that gray tubing Quest? If so that needs to also go. It should say Quest right on the tubing.
There was class action suits long ago from the pipes and fitting bursting and develping pin holes in them.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be contacting the water company first thing tomorrow.

And Joe...From what I'm reading, the Quest piping was a type of plastic piping, correct? This all appears to be galvanized to me. As for the valve and fittings...I will inquire when mentioning the leak.
Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 640

Anyone else notice what looks like 4" copper drain line running into the cast iron hub?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Anyone else notice what looks like 4" copper drain line running into the cast iron hub?
Yea, see it often in these parts. It's actually soldered to a brass hub adapter.
Took a bunch out a while back- doubled my wages when I cashed it in for scrap

Advertisement