Leaking Water Heater. Help! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Unhappy

Leaking water heater. Help!

What bad luck. My house has been purchased and will be demolished. I am renting my house back for 2 months and don't want to spend money and don't want to burden the new owner (he's giving me v. cheap rent). The water heater leaked a little about 1 month ago. Now at 4:30am, the alarm went off again and I've got a small leak.

My water heater was installed Apr '09 and is a GE Water heater w/ 5 year limited warranty.

Is there anything I can do to prevent having to buy a new water heater? Water seems to be seeping slowly from the base. Should I drain it? I bought the water heater from Home Depot and had a contractor friend install it. He is no longer available.

Thanking you in advance!

Advertisement

momof2labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

keep in mind the heatyer is on the cold water pressure side of the house so the leak might be a drip from cold water entering it when used.if was a pin hole it would be constant water either running or not....how much water after cleanup do you get..

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I had a similar issue last year also with a GE water heater bought from the Home Depot. It was also about 2-3 years old. ( I think they fail easily).

Depending on the warranty ( I think mine was a 7 or 10 year), the Home Depot will give you a pro-rated amount back for your old water heater. You may want to call them and find out how much they will give you back. For me, they they were giving me almost the full amount minus about 50 bucks.
I got a handyman to remove the old WH and drive it to HD and get another one and then installed the new one. Total cost about $400 with labor.

I didn't want to go down the same road with another GE WH, but the cost of a new one and installation was too high so I took my chances.
jay235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Thing about it is you coulakeup with a flood at anytime. Been there, done that just a few weeks ago. Thankfully this one was in the cellar and not in the house itself. It was still very aggravating haveing to pump the water out of the cellar (concrete floor). Also had to tote water by the buckt from the heater itself as it was below the ground, an I could not drain it with a hose to the outside.

Wouldn't this be the ll's problem now?

Either way, it sucks.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay235 View Post
I had a similar issue last year also with a GE water heater bought from the Home Depot. It was also about 2-3 years old. ( I think they fail easily).

Depending on the warranty ( I think mine was a 7 or 10 year), the Home Depot will give you a pro-rated amount back for your old water heater. You may want to call them and find out how much they will give you back. For me, they they were giving me almost the full amount minus about 50 bucks.
I got a handyman to remove the old WH and drive it to HD and get another one and then installed the new one. Total cost about $400 with labor.

I didn't want to go down the same road with another GE WH, but the cost of a new one and installation was too high so I took my chances.
Hi - Yes, mine was $550 new and 5 yr warranty. HD spoke with someone else and they've agreed if I bring it in, they will replace it. Yes, I remember the last time, a similar thing happened. These do not last worth a hoot. I'm on well water but still I should get more than 2 1/2 yrs out of one.

Of course you risk flooding which is a homeowners nightmare. I will think twice about buying another GE Hot Water Heater!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

Moved to Plumbing forum.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
keep in mind the heatyer is on the cold water pressure side of the house so the leak might be a drip from cold water entering it when used.if was a pin hole it would be constant water either running or not....how much water after cleanup do you get..
Dear Biggles:
I paid the plumber (licensed and certified for gas) $325 to drag this 2 yr old water heater to HD. They exchanged it for the identical one and the plumber re-installed the new one. It took him 4 hours from beginning to end. Not as simple as I thought it would be.

When I asked the plumber if it would be worth removing it and taking it to my new house, without hesitation he said "NO". He suggested getting a AO Smith water heater.

Why HD continues to carry this brand when the failure rate is so high is beyond me.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,044

If you remove and transport the coupl'a month old water heater yourself (this part DIY) I say it is worthwhile to do.

When storing it for future use, first tip it in various ways to be sure that all the water is drained out. Leave the drain valve and also the top inlet/outlet ports open so moisture does not build up inside. Optionally tie some window screening over each opening to keep bugs out.

Advertisement

momof2labs (11-02-2012)

Tags
leaking water heater , water heater