Leaking Waste Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking waste pipe

The discharge pipe for the toilet, sink and bath has a slight leak around one of the joints. Is there anything I can do to fix it without having to dismantle the whole joint. The problem I have is that the pipe is behind a stud wall (which I've managed to remove) but the pipe obviously runs from ground level,through the bathroom floor (which is where the leak is) and out of the roof. I'm afraid that by dismantling the pipe at the middle joint might lead to further problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

Advertisement

guvlin444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Leaking waste pipe

You didn't say what material the pipe was. Is it plastic or cast iron or galvanized steel? Let me first say that the "proper" way to fix a leaking joint is to remove/replace it. I also realize that this is not always possible by the homeowner or DIYer. You also have to realise that the joint may be leaking due to a clog making the waste water back up and put pressure on the joint. (running water does not have a lot of pressure behind it) I have seen epoxy sealers on the market that are made for use on drain lines. Also, silicone sealers work well. You must get the joint completely dry before using these sealers though and allow them to cure before using the line. These are some of the options to help you until you can get it fixed properly.

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

Leaking waste pipe

What sort of waste pipe? Cast iron? PVC? ABS? Galvanized? Copper? Lead? The repair procedure for each is different.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking waste pipe

Should have mentioned that the pipe is plastic. There are no blockages as we have had it tested by a drain engineer. It may be that the pipe was disturbed when we had our bathroom renovated earlier this year.
guvlin444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

Leaking waste pipe

The best, and most traditional repair is to cut out the leaking fitting and reinstall one with couplings as necessary.

Leaking PVC and ABS fittings can be repaired in place by means of a PVC or ABS welding torch, which uses a small hot air torch and PVC or ABS welding rod. This repair procedure is normally only completed on commercial jobs, where taking the piping completely out of service to complete the repair cannot be done.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Leaking waste pipe

You can also cut out the leaking fitting and repair with a new fitting and No-hub pipe couplings or Fernco clamps. This will allow you to repair without moving the rest of the piping to install the pipe into the fitting hubs.

Advertisement