Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #1

Share |

leaking tub

my wife was taking a bath in the main floor tub. Water is leaking from the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom, i tore out the ceiling and it appears to be coming from where the drain and tub meet. But it only leaks if someone is laying in the tub with water in it. It does not leak when you take a shower or just fill the tub with water and let it sit. I don't really know where to begin and i don't want to jump to ripping out the tub if i don't have to. Any ideas??

Morjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #2

leaking tub

I'm thinking the drain may not be tight enough to the tub or maybe there is a crack in that area. The seal may be bad too. It may be flexing and therefore leaking with the combined weight of a person and the water.

Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #3

leaking tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morjade View Post
But it only leaks if someone is laying in the tub with water in it. It does not leak when you take a shower or just fill the tub with water and let it sit. Any ideas??
My idea is that it's coming from the overflow drain gasket.

What's probably happening is that the water is leaking out the overflow gasket and running down the tub to the drain, and leaking off the drain piping. Can you check with a flashlight and mirror, maybe?

Perhaps check by covering the overflow drain in the tub with a piece of plastic (like a plastic bag) and maybe tape the bag down around it's perimeter. Fill up the tub FULL of water (past the overflow), and see if it leaks. It prolly won't. Now pull off that plastic, and someone in the bathroom below will probably see a torrent of water spilling out. Slap the plastic bag tightly over the overflow drain again and pull the tub's drain plug to stop the leakage into the bathroom below.

Behind the overflow drain on a bathtub is a large beveled rubber washer similar to the washer on the bottom of a toilet tank flush valve. I've been told that you can replace these washers without removing the drain piping from the tub. In fact, I've done it once before I knew hardly anything about plumbing. You remove the overflow drain cover and the clamping bar holding the overflow drain tight to the back side of the tub. Then, push the overflow drain back away from the tub as far as it will go without bending or breaking and slip the old bevelled washer off. Slide another bevelled washer into place, put the overflow drain clamp back on and then the overflow drain cover.

Any plumbing store should sell the bevelled rubber washer for a tub drain and overflow. The washer has a triangular cross section. It should be installed with the thin edge closest to you. So, if you thought of the cross section as an "arrow", it would be pointing to you.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-23-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #4

leaking tub

Thank you guys I will try both ideas. I will keep you posted on what the problem was.
Morjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #5

leaking tub

If you can get to it .re tighten the shoe the is a large washer and nut /ans re putty the drain
metx is offline   Reply With Quote