Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #1

Share |

Leaking Trap Connection

Hey guys! New homeowner here (well - 8 months ago) and last night I found that my kitchen sink was clogged up. Eventually I took the piping apart underneath (all PVC) and had a major clog in the Trap. Cleaned everything out and put it all back together - turned on water and let it run for 10 minutes or so - no problems. I woke up this morning and checked under the sink, and sure enough there was a small puddle of water that had been dripping. The drip is coming from the connection where the trap connects to the pipe gonig back to the wall. If I remember correctly, I don't think there was any sort of washer or gasket in this location (Garbage disposal and sink side connection all had gasket) - should there have been a washer/gasket of some type here or is this a simple teflon tape kind of fix? I've been reading about 'pipe dope,' is this better than the tape? It's a slow drip, maybe 1 drop every 30 seconds give or take... I have a bucket under there now to catch the drips while I'm at work. Thank you in advance!!

bklusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
DIY staff

Leaking Trap Connection

There should have been a nylon ring under the nut--Unless the nut has the ring built into it---

Best bet is to get a new nut and a fresh nylon ring---the thicker part of the ring faces the nut---

The nylon rings fail frequently when reused---It's always a good policy to use new rings whenever working on the sink.--

Always check for burrs and damage on the mating surfaces---a little bump can cause a little leak--

---Mike---

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

Leaking Trap Connection

there shouldn't be a washer on the trap arm where it connects to the trap. take it apart again, clean the beveled ends on both pieces and inspect for any chips/cracks. when you put it back together, make sure that it seats evenly and isn't under any stress. teflon tape will not do any good, pipe dope on the beveled end could seal it up, but a new trap is just a few dollars and a whole lot more reliable
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
DIY staff

Leaking Trap Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
there shouldn't be a washer on the trap arm where it connects to the trap. take it apart again, clean the beveled ends on both pieces and inspect for any chips/cracks. when you put it back together, make sure that it seats evenly and isn't under any stress. teflon tape will not do any good, pipe dope on the beveled end could seal it up, but a new trap is just a few dollars and a whole lot more reliable
OOPS, Second time today I mis-remembered what the problem was--

Thank--You are "The Man"--