Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Share |

Leaking from toilet tank?

So i just purchased a home that was built in the 70's...looks like the original "brown" toilet is still installed.

Anyways, when i turn the water on i'm getting a leak, i had a home inspection done and the guy told me

"moisture was detected under the tank or on the floor under the tank in the master suite. This is an indication that the seals at the bolts holding the tank to the bowl are in need of replacement"

is this something i can just buy from home depot, remove the tank, and install myself?

Is there a "name" to these seals?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by tripflex; 10-02-2009 at 07:40 AM.
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #2

You can purchase the tank gasket (sometimes called a donut), but since the toilet is so old, you may have a hard time finding the proper one for your toilet. Designs change over the years and although chances are it will work, now would be the time to change out that brown toilet. You can get the gasket and new brass bolts at most hardware or Home Centers. With the age of the toilet, getting the old bolts out is not going to be a fun job.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
You can purchase the tank gasket (sometimes called a donut), but since the toilet is so old, you may have a hard time finding the proper one for your toilet. Designs change over the years and although chances are it will work, now would be the time to change out that brown toilet. You can get the gasket and new brass bolts at most hardware or Home Centers. With the age of the toilet, getting the old bolts out is not going to be a fun job.

Ok cool, "donut" was what i was looking for. Yeah funds are tight right now so i'm just gonna go back to the house after i get off work in a couple hours and see if i can disassemble the toilet myself ::crosses fingers::

Then i will know whether i need to get a donut or new toilet! buaha ... ahh i hope not a new toilet
Old 09-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Household Handyman

"tripflex", you are on the right track, disassemble the tank from the toilet and save the "doughnut" and at least one of the toilet/tank bolts. Find a local plumbing supply house and go there to seek new parts. Most HD and Lowe's type stores carry newer, up-to-date parts IMO. A good plumbing supply house, most of the time, has 1) knowledgeable help (not "department-of-the-day experts in orange or blue aprons) , 2) plumbers sitting around who might offer good advice, and 3) I find these places generally stock parts for older plumbing items, this is where the plumbers go to get them. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"tripflex", you are on the right track, disassemble the tank from the toilet and save the "doughnut" and at least one of the toilet/tank bolts. Find a local plumbing supply house and go there to seek new parts. Most HD and Lowe's type stores carry newer, up-to-date parts IMO. A good plumbing supply house, most of the time, has 1) knowledgeable help (not "department-of-the-day experts in orange or blue aprons) , 2) plumbers sitting around who might offer good advice, and 3) I find these places generally stock parts for older plumbing items, this is where the plumbers go to get them. Good Luck, David

Yup yup! She's in great working order now! It was a little pain getting the old bolts out but after that everything came out great.

Went up to home depot, purchased this part:

All in all it took me about an hour to dissemble and re-assemble everything, but thankfully didn't need a new toilet!

Thanks for the help guys!