Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #1

Share |

leaking temperature/pressure relief valve..

Recently we've noticed water under the pipe that runs down our electric hot water tank. From reading this forum I've learned it's the pipe connected to the pressure relief valve. It seems to be happening when we shower, but may be at other times but just didnt notice. The water heater is 13 yrs old. Just wondering if this is a sign that the water heater is on it's way out, or an easy fix. If more info is needed feel free to ask.

ps: I just found this forum recently and in a short time browsing it I have learned quite a bit, and also learned how much I really don't know!! lol. We just had central air installed, and the HVAC forum helped quite a bit in giving me an idea of what to ask and look out for.
thanks!
biikman

biikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

A leaking T&P valve could be caused by a number of things, including just a failing valve.
If that's it, it is an easy fix.
Get a replacement T&P valve and some teflon tape.
Turn the power/gas off and the cold water supply to the heater off, and let the pressure off of the tank by running a hot water faucet.
Unscrew the old T&P valve out counter-clockwise with a pipe wrench.
Wrap about 3 flat turns of teflon tape around the threads of the new valve clockwise only as the threaded end faces you.
Tighten it into the heater, re-install the pipe.
Good luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #3

I don't think it is pressure related, we when I mentioned it to my wife, she admitted that when she was doing laundry and waiting for a load to finish, she pushed on the release lever to see what it does. Dont ask me why... but since it hadn't been tested in 13 years I think that it just won't close fully now. Thanks for the reply, sounds like something even Icould do
biikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Then there could just be a little piece of rust or debris in the valve, not allowing it to close fully.
Open and close it again to see if that flushes it out and stops the leaking. If it doesn't, just replace the valve.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #5

I'm having the same problem apparently - got a phone call at work from my insignificant other to tell me the "pipe that's not hooked to anything on one end" has water running from it. He turned off the water to the entire house (he couldn't figure out how to turn off just the water to the heater). I got home about an hour later and turned off the electricity to the water heater as well. I haven't turned anything back on yet. (In his defense, the cut-off valve for the HWH seems to be stuck.)

I haven't had to deal with HWH yet, so here I am.

I saw somewhere else (as well as above) that I could try moving the valve on top of the heater attached to the relief valve. My question(s) then: does the electricity and/or water need to be on to do that? do I just move it up and down? if it was on with no water going to it for an hour, is the heating element(s) (I assume it has heating elements) screwed up now?

Thanks.

Cindy
CindyNyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #6

When you are checking on or replacing your TP valve, make sure it's the output is directed in the right place to avoid any problems. According to Accurate Inspections, "The pressure temperature relief valve output should always be directed outside the building and downwards, about 6 to 12 inches off the surface of the ground or flatwork concrete." If the water that gets released is not directed in the right place or the right direction, it could do damage to the water heater or anything that the output valve is pointed at. If the output valve is blocked, that basically negates the whole reason that your water heater has a relief valve in the first place! It seems that 6 to 12 inches off the surface is a good rule of thumb. I would err on the side of more distance, just to be on the safe side!

loki791 is offline   Reply With Quote