Leaking Sink Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

leaking sink drain

Im trying to install a new drain stem & trap on a pedestal sink in bathroom. I got tired of cleaning hair out of plunger & J trap so i figured I would just use a non-plunger stem with a mesh strainer in opening. It has a openings for overflow.

I had no luck with the new metal one I bought without the plunger. It leaked. I figured the gasket was too small for opening under sink, because the gasket was a smaller diameter than old one. So I reinstalled the old plastic one & figured I would just not connect the plunger. I am using plumbers putty for top gasket. It leaks too. Is it better to use silicone for the top seal? Should I be using a sealer between stem & gasket underneath? How tight should the nut be? It appears to be leaking around threads on the stem. Should I be using teflon on the threads for the gasket nut? The stem didn't leak before I took it apart. I wouldn't think this job would be this much of a pain. I'd rather not call a plumber for something this simple.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

leaking sink drain

If its leaking from around the threads of the tail piece up where the nut and washer for the drain is located it could be two reasons,
1. not enough plumbers putty under the stem where the pop up should be
2. nut at top of tail stem outlet is not tightened enough. there is usually a metal nut washer combo and a thin hard fiber washer and then a rubber washer gasket that seals against the sink drain opening. then thin fiber washer helps the nut from distorting the rubber gasket when you tighten it. I like to apply some Teflon paste to the area before i tighten them all up
Hope this helps BOB.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #3

leaking sink drain

Thanks for answer. There was no thin fibre gasket, only the hard rubber one. I used vise grips to tighten nut under gasket. How much putty should I use? I have used it before when installing waste disposer in kitchen. A good bit sqeezes out when i tighten the nut down.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #4

leaking sink drain

take the putty and roll it in your hands to form a snake about 1/4 "- 3/8" in DIA. then install it under your stem . then tighten your nut making sure not to distort the large rubber gasket, I tighten the nut until I see its seated correctly into the sink drain outlet. by then you should be left with about 1/16" of putty left under the drain. clean the excess up and you should be fine.
one important suggestion!. Don'T use the plumbers putty on anything other then Stainless,cast iron or steel. if its a cultured marble sink then silicone should be used to prevent spider cracks.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

leaking sink drain

are spider cracks similar to the dreaded plumber's crack?
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #6

leaking sink drain

Its porcelain. Should I put some silicone or putty between bottom gasket & sink? Would some sealant on top threads of stem help? If I use silicone how long should I wait to test it?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #7

leaking sink drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldee20 View Post
Its porcelain. Should I put some silicone or putty between bottom gasket & sink? Would some sealant on top threads of stem help? If I use silicone how long should I wait to test it?
Plumbers putty will be fine.

Advertisement