DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Leaking shut off valve, am I that inept???

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ChrisDIY 
#1 ·
I put on two shut off valves for the kitchen sink today. The hot water side was done first. I wrapped the valve with a moist rag and did my sweat connection with, cleaning, flux and solder. I went to the cold water side and repeated the process, I actually put more heat on the cold water shut off valve. Later, I noticed I have a leak around where the 3/8" connection is to the water line for the faucet. There is a small seam where the threaded part of the valve is mated with the bulk of the valve. Neither sweat connection is leaking. I don't think my pipe sweat connections are done improperly.

Has anyone had an issue with shut off valves from Lowe's leaking? Seems odd that the valve that is leaking had less heat applied to it?

--Chris

#9 ·
I live out in the country and the first store I get to is Lowe's. I have a Home Depot another 20-30 minutes more. I will try the "Do it best Hardware" in the opposite direction which is a little closer than Home Depot. Will look for Brass Craft.

#13 ·
Flotrain said:
hello I have a similar drip leak but this top part of the valve actually unscrews from the valve when trying to disconnect the supply line... and there doesn't appear any way to unscrew the top part of the valve from the supply line without destroying the threads with channel locks or vise grips/// I would prefer not to buy a whole new shutoff valve of course.. :furious: suggestions? thanks
Joe
Can you post a picture? Sounds like a compression valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.