Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Leaking Shower Drain - Screw Gasket

Hello,

I recently purchased a home and during the inspection, my inspector found what he said was the start of a leak (either that or a very slow/minor leak). He found water with an infrared camera on the kitchen ceiling but there is no visible water damage yet. Above the leak is a stand alone preformed shower. I checked the calking around the base and it seems good. So my next guess is the drain.

I popped the strainer off and found the drain in the pictures. It seems the seal was just a screw in one. There was no compression ring on top of it like I've seen the new drains have. My best guess is this drain is 10 years old, so I'm not sure if things have changed in the past 10 years.

It also seems that there is a metal lip about 2 inches below the surface that the pipe fits through. If I cannot find a seal, I'm thinking of just filling this entire space up with silicone and smoothing it around the top?

I guess my other option is the WingTite drain as I would like to avoid tearing into the kitchen ceiling. Best part about this, I won't even be sure its fixed as its only visible with the IR camera.

Any help in identifying the drain/seal is appreciated, or if just filling this space with silicone is advisable.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking Shower Drain - Screw Gasket-drain.jpg   Leaking Shower Drain - Screw Gasket-inside.jpg   Leaking Shower Drain - Screw Gasket-seal.jpg  

eclipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

"Plumbing Putty" will work best!

plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

Hello,

The gasket is dried and cracked so I wasn't planning on using it at all. I was going to fill the entire space with silicone. You are saying to fill the entire space with plumbers putty instead?

My only concern is if I ever need to take it out, guess I could always dig it out from the top.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #4

use a little plumbers putty and then screw drain cover in semi tight then take excess off, then you wanna wait about 2 min then wait for it to set up then tighten it up until tight. that should work "that's what i would do". You can also put some on your sink's if you have extra, silicone is for trim like where tub/couch/toilet meets tile so i wouldn't put silicone over drain. last resort you can unscrew the tub take off existing silicone "if any" and get a new drain all you have to do is screw it in with some putty.

so yes try that first
Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

BTW do you have a tub tool?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

I don't have access to the bottom of the shower/drain. I haven't tried to unscrew the drain cover either - thought the nut on the bottom may fall off. All I did was see the dry gasket and pull that out. I do not have a tub tool and very little experience with plumbing.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

I suggest that you go get another rubber gasket--thats an Oaty---a plumbing supply will have that or you could buy the whole drain set just to get the washer---

Packing that with 100% silicone MAY work---I will admit that I have done it and had it work--However it's a funky fix--with no guarantee..

If you try it--clean out the hole like your kitchen ceiling depended on it--

Silicone will only stick to a clean--dry (absolutely) surface---use alcohol for the final cleaning--
hair drier--then pack it with silicone---wait 24 hours before using the drain--
Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,390

while these may work....as mike said its funky....that gasket is still available clean up end of pipe clean out socket and install new gasket for a professional repair ... ben
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #9

Yeah, filling it with silicone/putty is my last resort. I went to Lowes and found their Oatey drains, but they are all the no-calk ones with a compression ring that screws in on top of the gasket.

On mine, I guess the gasket just screws in? I'm not sure how its supposed to create a seal with no compression ring.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsis View Post
Yeah, filling it with silicone/putty is my last resort. I went to Lowes and found their Oatey drains, but they are all the no-calk ones with a compression ring that screws in on top of the gasket.

On mine, I guess the gasket just screws in? I'm not sure how its supposed to create a seal with no compression ring.
yes the gasket just taps in for a snug fit...put alittle dishsoap on gasket get something about as round as gasket push it in over pipe then tap the rest of way....ben
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
DIY staff

By the way---do NOT use plumbers putty---that will leak---badly.
ben's plumbing (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #12

Ok, so I guess I'll look for a new gasket. Lowes and Home Depot are out, they both have the new style with compression ring on top - could I use the gasket from that one? I may have to find a non-chain hardware store and see what they have.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #13
DIY staff

I believe the gaskets are the same---a plumbing supply house is handy if there is one close---

File or sand the top of the pipe so it doesn't have a square edge to snag the rubber--
A 2" pvc coupling make a good driver--along with a thin wood scrap---to tap that into the hole--
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #14

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I have lots of cleanup to do on this pipe. It seems like it was almost melted off rather than cut. Would you recommend anything on the gasket (silicone/putty) or will it seal by itself? Will let you know how things go.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
DIY staff

Those thongs are so tight that no extra goo is needed---just some dish soap to help get it into the hole---A block of wood helps--about 1/2" x1"---and maybe 5 or 6 inched long-tap around and around--those are not fun to install---