Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #1

Share |

Leaking shower in 2 story townhouse.

Hello,

I recently purchased a two story townhouse. This is a new construction (2007 built) with one previous owner. I think I have a leak in my guest room bathroom shower. Here is a bit of background/evidence:

- I had a few friends over during the summer, after getting home around 4-5 p, I turned on the AC while everyone went to take showers in the guest room. After a few minutes there is a stream of water coming out of my AC vent downstairs. More specifically it is coming out of one of the screws holding on the cover at around 5-10 drops per second (basically a stream).

- Another incident when I had some friends over, I had the same thing happen but first thing in the morning without the AC on. The stream started after the 3rd person was almost finished showering.

Below are some pictures of my place. The long shots are downstairs and upstairs from around the same location on each floor. The leak is from the vent just under the my dining room table which lines up to around the area between my two bedrooms. I have opened up the wall in my guest room closet that is on the back side of the bathroom. I can only see/check so far but the Tee connection and the P trap seem dry when I run the shower.

Downstairs

Upstairs (taken from master bedroom, the far room is where the leak is)

Leaking Vent (near side left screw was leaking)

Inside the wall

My best guess is that the leak is at some point dripping onto the insulation around the AC vent, water-logging it and only dripping once the insulation is saturated with water and it touches off where that bolt goes through the ceiling. My initial guess was that it was the drain although it seems less and less likely at this point since the drain lines runs away from that duct.

So my questions:

- Has anyone seem something like this before?
- Am I on the right track? I am a little hesitant to open up any more walls.
- What would be a typical point of leakage? I ruled out the supply lines since they are always pressurized and would leak constantly if that was the problem (might be a big assumption, my plumbing knowledge isnt that strong).

And most importantly, what do I do??

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Toggleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
DIY staff

In my experience----

1. Shower arm to riser connection leaks.

2. Tub spout connection leaking

3. gasket on tub over flow is not tight. Or defective seal on decorative valve cover

4.Some part of the drain set or P-trap is leaking

5.tile or surround faulty

rent or borrow an in wall camera---invite all your friends over to use the shower---look for leaks---paper toweling is a good leak detector---Mike---

Old 11-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Mike, thanks for the quick reply. I have just run the tub spout only for about 30 minutes and see no signs of leaking at the AC vent or in the wall. I am going to test the shower head next. Im quickly counting out the possibility of a drain leak.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
DIY staff

If you can remove the cover plate from the valve--that will allow you to see inside the wall by the mixer valve.

Easiest way to spot a leaking shower arm.

Also--the tub spout sometimes only leaks when the diverter is lifted up--so test it again with the shower on.

Wrap a piece of paper towel onto a coat hanger wire----use that to swap out of sight ares--

Is it possible that your guests simply didn't tuck the shower curtain in right and got water on the floor?
I've seen that a few times----Mike---
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #5

Hmm, took off the cover plate and ran the shower, I didnt find any leaking coming down the shower arm. On the other hand, your guess about the water on the floor is very plausible... the shower head seems to spray all over the place and even during these relatively short tests I found a lot of water on the floor. I think I am going to re-caulk around the tub (there were some minor leaks inside the wall, reseal the floor to wall, reseal the cover plate, and replace the shower head. Then.. keep showering in there for a week. I'll keep in touch!
The Following User Says Thank You to Toggleme For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
DIY staff

That happens a lot---Good luck-----Mike---
Old 11-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
DIY staff

The cover plate should have a gasket --best not to caulk that one---

If you do--do not caulk the bottom---the cover should be able to drain to the tile side if water ever gets behind it.