Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Leaking Shower

Have recently purchased a 70 year old home in Jacksonville, FL. One of the first projects I tackled was a leaky shower in the bathroom. It is a standard shower stall (no tub) and dripped constantly. I pulled the stems out to replace them, and was advised by my local Lowe's guy to try just replacing the washers. This was great because it was much less expensive and one of the seats had rusted so much the I couldn't get it out.

So I replaced the washers and TA-DA!! No more leaks.

Fast forward 2 months later - the leak is back and worse than before!

I think I need to replace both stems (gerber style) - but how am I going to get that seat out?!?!

tomberlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 278

Leaking Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomberlins View Post
Have recently purchased a 70 year old home in Jacksonville, FL. One of the first projects I tackled was a leaky shower in the bathroom. It is a standard shower stall (no tub) and dripped constantly. I pulled the stems out to replace them, and was advised by my local Lowe's guy to try just replacing the washers. This was great because it was much less expensive and one of the seats had rusted so much the I couldn't get it out.

So I replaced the washers and TA-DA!! No more leaks.

Fast forward 2 months later - the leak is back and worse than before!

I think I need to replace both stems (gerber style) - but how am I going to get that seat out?!?!
see if this web page will help http://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,281885

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #3

Leaking Shower

Well - it sounds like the verdict is I need to call a plumber in. I am really disappointed. I was really thinking there would be a tool that could grab the chewed up seat. I tried tapping the seat wrench to get grip but I am just pulling out brass shavings.

Any other tool out there?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

Leaking Shower

The final verdict is a tool called an easy out. I guess there are a couple different designs. The local big box store had a couple but encouraged me to head to a plumbing supply store. The guy at the store gave me some great advice and steadied my nerves.

For other DIY beginners like me - the easy was basically a pyramid shaped tool. Each edge of the pyramid was fairly sharp, and is designed to bite into the rounded out metal of the seat. A few solid taps into the metal of the seat and it had good grip. The. A simple wrench to twist the and out came the rounded out seat! The right size easy out was important to make sure I didn't puncture the pipe behind the seat.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 278

Leaking Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomberlins View Post
The final verdict is a tool called an easy out. I guess there are a couple different designs. The local big box store had a couple but encouraged me to head to a plumbing supply store. The guy at the store gave me some great advice and steadied my nerves.

For other DIY beginners like me - the easy was basically a pyramid shaped tool. Each edge of the pyramid was fairly sharp, and is designed to bite into the rounded out metal of the seat. A few solid taps into the metal of the seat and it had good grip. The. A simple wrench to twist the and out came the rounded out seat! The right size easy out was important to make sure I didn't puncture the pipe behind the seat.
The easy out is a very nice tool lot's of use's for it. It is not a hidden tool lot's of people have them for takeing out broken screw's after you drill them and the thing's like you just got to do your job. I used to work at home depot and have sent people over to get this tool . Glad you got it out ok.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote