Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Share |

Leaking shower

My shower pan (concrete up stairs)was replaced about 5 yrs ago it has started leaking. I plugged the drain to test it and when filled with water over night it does not leak. But when the water goes down the drain it leaks thru the ceiling downstairs.I can see the bottom of the trap and it is not leaking there.I can see the corner of the pan from below and the water seems to migrate there and leak down. I suspect faulty plumbing. Is there a way to replace the plumbing without tearing out the whole pan if that is the case?

harleymike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Tileguy

Leaking shower

Quote:
Is there a way to replace the plumbing without tearing out the whole pan if that is the case?
Maybe.

How about a photo from the bottom side?

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #3

Leaking shower

If you have the right tools and expertise, should be a simple fix.
If I were you I'd call a licensed plumber.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Leaking shower

Albacore,
As this is a DIY site, and you are a plumber, it might be more helpful to provide more insight than "If I were you, I'd call a plumber."
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-18-2011), ptfrost (10-02-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Tileguy

Leaking shower

Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
DIY staff

Leaking shower

Give us something to work on-----
Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #7

Leaking shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Albacore,
As this is a DIY site, and you are a plumber, it might be more helpful to provide more insight than "If I were you, I'd call a plumber."
Your right that wasn't very helpful.

If you can see the bottom of the pan, I'd check that the large nut that holds the drain to the pan is tight. you may be able to loosen it up and repack the top of the drain with plumbers putty or silicone, then re tighten from the bottom.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Leaking shower

Are you certain that it's the drain and not the showerhead leaking when you turn the valve on?

A little less likely but still not an impossibility is that perhaps the shower wall is leaking. I'd check the showerhead first, however.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #9

Leaking shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Sorry for being unresponsive I have been out of town. Currently the access for pics is only 2 holes in the downstairs ceiling that are about 1"x1" From 1 you can see the cast iron P trap coming from the bottom of the shower pan and it looks clean and dry. From the 2nd hole caused by the leaking water you can see where the corner of the pan comes together. All of the supply to the shower has been changed to copper and checked No leaks there. It only leaks when water is flowing down the drain.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Tileguy

Leaking shower

Quote:
From 1 you can see the cast iron P trap
Just keeps getting better doesn't it?

I wonder if there could be a hairline crack in the casting. I would think if that was the case you would see signs of water having been there but not for sure.

Is the drain "free-flowing" otherwise? A slow drain could cause a temporary backup and that could leak from a joint or fitting maybe.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #11

Leaking shower

Quote:
Just keeps getting better doesn't it?

I wonder if there could be a hairline crack in the casting. I would think if that was the case you would see signs of water having been there but not for sure.

Is the drain "free-flowing" otherwise? A slow drain could cause a temporary backup and that could leak from a joint or fitting maybe.

Just thinking out loud.
The drain is free flowing and does not backup. I'm guessing there is a crack in the threads attaching the drain parts together and that is filling the pan causing it to leak from the corner, my guess it's the lowest point. That being the thought of my original question if it is possible to replace to replace the drain parts without breaking out the pan. You previously mentioned it might be possible can you elaborate on that possibility?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
Doing it myself

Leaking shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymike03 View Post
Sorry for being unresponsive I have been out of town. Currently the access for pics is only 2 holes in the downstairs ceiling that are about 1"x1" From 1 you can see the cast iron P trap coming from the bottom of the shower pan and it looks clean and dry. From the 2nd hole caused by the leaking water you can see where the corner of the pan comes together. All of the supply to the shower has been changed to copper and checked No leaks there. It only leaks when water is flowing down the drain.
Right, so that eliminates the supply lines TO the valve. That still doesn't eliminate the showerhead from the equation.You have at least two joints buried inside the wall going from the valve to the showerhead that are possible locations for leaks. If they hit the back of the sheetrock and run down to the pan and drip off the corner, that would show what you're seeing below. Water does some crazy stuff and this leak would only show when you're using the water.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Tileguy

Leaking shower

Quote:
You previously mentioned it might be possible can you elaborate on that possibility?
I also mentioned a photo from the bottom side would be handy. And you came back with your own discription of what was there as you viewd it through a "one inch" hole. Now it is time to know what is there and stop speculating. YOU have eliminated the possibility of the plumbing leaking and YOU now have the problem narrowed down to the shower pan. Then you say you are "guessing there is a crack in the threads". What threads?

Maybe I should have asked before now: Is this a plastic shower tray?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #14

Leaking shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Right, so that eliminates the supply lines TO the valve. That still doesn't eliminate the showerhead from the equation.You have at least two joints buried inside the wall going from the valve to the showerhead that are possible locations for leaks. If they hit the back of the sheetrock and run down to the pan and drip off the corner, that would show what you're seeing below. Water does some crazy stuff and this leak would only show when you're using the water.
I have access thru the attic and can see all the plumbing from there. There is no sign of any water leaking from the lines, shower head or the valve assembly.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
Doing it myself

Leaking shower

Quote:
I also mentioned a photo from the bottom side would be handy. And you came back with your own discription of what was there as you viewd it through a "one inch" hole. Now it is time to know what is there and stop speculating. YOU have eliminated the possibility of the plumbing leaking and YOU now have the problem narrowed down to the shower pan. Then you say you are "guessing there is a crack in the threads". What threads?

Maybe I should have asked before now: Is this a plastic shower tray?
I missed the comment about a 1" hole.

So the next question IMHO is why hasn't it been opened up larger to find the source of the problem, instead of peering through a keyhole into empty space?