DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Leaking Rheem 60 gal Electric Hot Water Heater

12K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Marvin Gardens 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a question for anyone out there who can help me solve a water heater problem I am now having.

Please :help:

My water heater appears to be leaking, I believe it is leaking from the bottom of the heater itself because I cannot see or feel any moisture from any of the pipes.

Can someone who knows about water heaters tell me just where the leak :boat: could possibly be coming from?

FYI: I leave in a doublewide mobile home, if I had to purchase a new water heater would the type of water heater make a difference between a mobile home and a conventional home?

Correction: I have a 40 gallon electric Rheem water heater model 71-408B

#2 ·
Water heaters usually do leak from the bottom. They just rust out. Often, the leak will extinguish the pilot, and you don't have hot water anymore.
Unless the water is coming from the pressure release / safety valve, then you need to replace the water heater.

As for the type, I cannot give you any advice on whether it would be different for a mobil home.

#3 ·
Check to make sure the pressure relief valve isn't leaking, or the drain valve at the bottom. But often the tanks rust through. As for differences between water eaters in houses and mobile homes, well, you may encounter some hasty plumbing done by the folks at the plant that will drive you insane to correct for your new heater. But other than that, if it will fit in the space, and has the same electrical (or gas) requirements, then... GET TO WORK:thumbup:

#4 ·
If it has been around for a while you probably need a new one. They have life span of about 10 years or so depending on the type of water.

When you get a new one check to see if there are any tax credits for the higher efficiency ones. Many times they are more money but can save you energy costs and with the tax credit can be a nice deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.