Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Exclamation

Leaking Pipes in basement!!!!!!

Hey guys i have a big problem, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have leaking pipes in my basement, i believe they are PVC they go from the wall to my water pump in my basement, im assuming the pipes are connected to my well. I was wondering if there is anyway to stop the flow of water from the well. or is there a way to plug up the seals with out taking apart all the pipes and replacing them, I have tried a bunch of stuff but nothing sticks because it is constantly wet. Please help anyone!!!!!!!!!

minennaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Which side of the pump are the pipes on? Suction (well) side? Or discharge (water supply) side?
PVC is white plastic and are "glued together. Where are the pipes leaking? At the joints?

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #3

yeah they are PVC, both pipes are on the same side its the top one that is leaking and its leaking at the seams.
minennaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by minennaj View Post
Hey guys i have a big problem, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have leaking pipes in my basement, i believe they are PVC they go from the wall to my water pump in my basement, im assuming the pipes are connected to my well. I was wondering if there is anyway to stop the flow of water from the well. or is there a way to plug up the seals with out taking apart all the pipes and replacing them, I have tried a bunch of stuff but nothing sticks because it is constantly wet. Please help anyone!!!!!!!!!

Turn off the circuit breaker to the well?

As for the leaks, I don't no of any simple fix that can be put on the outside to stop the leaks long term. PVC is very easy to work with though, I'd suggest cutting out the problem area & starting with new. If you don't feel comfortable in doing this, seek help.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

If it is leaking at the fittings (aka joints, aka connections, aka couplings or Ls or Ts or whatever), as advised, you need to unplug or turn the breaker off to the pump, drain the water down on the supply side to relieve the pressure, and cut-out (hacksaw) the leaking parts.
Dry and sandpaper the outside ends of the pipes and inside the ends of the new fittings. Use PVC primer and then PVC glue on the sanded areas, and push and twist (quarter-turn will do) them together. Hold the fitting tightly in place for a few seconds until it bonds good.Make the3 pipe and fittings all back up to roughly du0plicate what was leaking and let the glue dry as directed on can, and you should be premanently done...correctly.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote