Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #1

Share |

Leaking Main Water-Shutoff Valve Reapairable without Main Being Shut Off?

Hi everyone,

Our main water shut off valve has a slight drip coming from the packing nut. I can see what is probably packing rope debris coming from the valve stem. The picture attached is a diagram.

Can I shut off the valve and then unscrew knob and unscrew the packing nut and redo the packing rope and not have water shoot out?

In order to shut off the main the city would have to break our asphalt driveway. I am hoping to just repair the dripping leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking Main Water-Shutoff Valve Reapairable without Main Being Shut Off?-main-shut-off-valve-packing-nut.jpg  

cloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #2

Yes. It is tricky to keep the stem stationary while pulling the packing nut but I have done this on several occasions.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloves View Post
Can I shut off the valve and then unscrew knob and unscrew the packing nut and redo the packing rope and not have water shoot out?
I have done them this way in the past. A couple of times got pretty wet, others no problems.

Quote:
In order to shut off the main the city would have to break our asphalt driveway. I am hoping to just repair the dripping leak.
Your curb box shut off is buried under the driveway????? You really need to find a way to access that in case it is needed in an emergency. Hate to think of what will happen if you are working on that valve and a problem crops up and you need to get the water shut off. A little digging now can save you a lot of grief later. When I bought my house I could not find mine. After some work I finally found it under the blacktop apron of the driveway. Tore that up and redid it in concrete with the cover flush with the surface so it can be accessed.
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

Yup, hard to believe but the main shut off valve is under our driveway. I think the city spray painted a blue dot on it.

I found these instructions online: http://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbi...view-all#step1

The guy backs off the packing nut then is seen spinning the valve packing on it. Is it correct to assume that you then screw the packing nut back down and there will be 2 strands of the valve packing sticking out? Can't seem to find clear instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking Main Water-Shutoff Valve Reapairable without Main Being Shut Off?-repairing-main-water-valve-packing-rope.jpg  
cloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #5

I'm not a pro but there have been other threads where the pipe has been frozen to allow work without shutting off the water.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Yup, hard to believe but the main shut off valve is under our driveway. I think the city spray painted a blue dot on it.

I found these instructions online: http://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbi...view-all#step1

The guy backs off the packing nut then is seen spinning the valve packing on it. Is it correct to assume that you then screw the packing nut back down and there will be 2 strands of the valve packing sticking out? Can't seem to find clear instructions.
Never tried it.... but I would assume you just wrap it tight.... no loose end into the thread.... and crank/pack it down.... basically trhe same as if yiou pulled the whole stem.