Leaking Laundry Room Tap/valve Off Copper Pipe..... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking laundry room tap/valve off copper pipe.....

Hi all!

Please don't laugh too loud when you read this, but i need to ask. Complete newbie here having to deal with hot water loss in my laundry room. What it is is a tap right off the copper pipe that has a shot cartridge or the tap itself needs to be replaced. I have gone to the local hardware store and purchased a new tap and a new cartridge as well; thinking i'd try the cartridge first and if that didn't do it replace the whole tap. Not a big cash outlay so no big deal.

The thing is, the tap itself is so old and corroded that it will be a pain for me to get off. I did pick up some Lime Licker and some WD40 to loosen everything up to make the job easier.

On the way home I stopped again because i had forgotten to grab some Teflon tape just in case, so I made another stop and also(here it comes)grabbed a shut off for a garden hose. You know.....you screw the end of it onto your hose, and it has the little lever on the side to drop the ball inside the unit down to regulate the water supply on the other end....you can shut it right off so no water comes out if you want to.

Because it was only a $4 fix, and i was curious if it would work, I grabbed one. Its now on the leaking tap and I don't see any leaks.....the pipe is not even hot anymore because the water is not running to it.

Seems to be working so far.

The burning question: Am I going to damage anything using this quick fix? Its almost like adding a working shutoff to a leaky faucet via retro fit, i suppose.....without having to mess with the copper tubing.

My concern is that something will get damaged? Never done much beyond very VERY basic plumbing stuff, so I could use all the help i can get.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Advertisement

SassyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Guess what? The make those caps just for that purpose ---No harm done---thousands of people cap a leaky hose bib every year.

Glad you found a quick fix.-----Remember to replace the old faucet next time you have the water shut down.---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Mike!

Couldn't see why it would damage anything, but wanted to double check. The copper pipe and the little hose gadget are both nice and cool to touch and I've left a cup under the tap itself to make spotting any drips a bit quicker.

Wish I'd realized it was leaking a long time ago; it was attached to a supply hose(dunno why....guess SOMEONE knew it leaked.....don't ask....)I'll hang on the the tap i bought and it will be replaced at some point.....if this unit can remain on the tap indefinitely, it will wait till i redo the plumbing in that room as the original owner of the home installed SIX taps between the washer and dryer area.....again, don't ask me why. I figure i can get by with possibly two, four at the outside if i want a sink there.

Point being, if i can leave it as is safely enough, even if i have to replace the gadget once or twice, it'll keep til i do my renos.....six months ish......lots to do around here.

Cheers, and thanks again for the help. If anyone else has done this fix on here and can let me know if there is any reason I should not leave this on until then.

SassyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Water heaters are famous for drippy drain faucets---I've seen those caps last as long as the faucet---