Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

Share |

leaking drain in utility sink

I have an old, porcelain, double utility sink that recently started leaking onto the floor. I hoped it was just the trap rusting through, but it appears to be coming from one of the drains.

I'm hoping to replace some sort of gasket/seal, or perhaps put new drains into this sink, but I can't figure out how to get the old ones out.

They're joined under the sink by (what I think is) a cast-iron common manifold, and I don't see any way to get it off.

Does anyone have a suggestion? See pictures of the manifold and one of the drains from the top (I can't get them to insert into the post, for some reason):
http://imagebin.org/231565
http://imagebin.org/231566
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Not hard to see why it's leaking that should have been replaced long ago.
Sure looks like someone has had a leaking problum for a long time and just tryed to seal it with some form of goop.
It's all got to be chisled off so you can get to the big nut holding the stariner in place.
Most likly it could have been fixed by just removing the strainer and apply a layeyer of plumbers putty under the lip and reinstalling.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

Where is this big nut that holds the strainer on? I've had my head in all sort of weird angles under there and I can't see how to get the strainers detached.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #4

After digging the rust out of the crevice between the top of the flanges and the bottom of the sink... it's looking like a Sawzall is going to be my only option to get these out, unless the whole strainer assembly unscrews from the top, or something weird like that.

If I cut these out, will I be able to just plumb in two new replacement drains? I guess it has to be a standard size, right?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
After digging the rust out of the crevice between the top of the flanges and the bottom of the sink... it's looking like a Sawzall is going to be my only option to get these out, unless the whole strainer assembly unscrews from the top, or something weird like that.

If I cut these out, will I be able to just plumb in two new replacement drains? I guess it has to be a standard size, right?
I would sawzall between the sink and drain assembly. You could try a basket strainer tool but the drains cross piece will probably break out making the tool unusable.
As for the correct size of strainer, It's hard to say if it's standard. Odds are against it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I would sawzall between the sink and drain assembly. You could try a basket strainer tool but the drains cross piece will probably break out making the tool unusable.
As for the correct size of strainer, It's hard to say if it's standard. Odds are against it.
Yah, and the cross pieces aren't in the best of shape to begin with. Just to see if either drain was loose at all (hah!), I used a box/combination wrench with a screwdriver as an improvised strainer tool, and all that happened was the cross bars started to bend.

FWIW, the outer diameter of the strainers looks like exactly 2 1/2", while the inner diameter is about 1 1/2". I can't even figure out what to search for, to find these. Is Home Depot going to help, if I walk in there with (half of) the old strainer?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

That style strainer is held in place with a nut from under it. Without removing the nut first it's not going to come out.
You have to remove all that poop off of the bottom of it to find it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That style strainer is held in place with a nut from under it. Without removing the nut first it's not going to come out.
I don't know Joe. It kind of looks like the baskets screw into the cast iron assembly.
Standard basket strainers are 3.5" but the 1.5" measurement should be good. They might fit
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to. There are no nuts exposed on the bottom.

If you look at this picture, you can see that the cast-iron Y manifold thing goes right up to the bottom of both drains:

http://imagebin.org/231565

There's barely 1/8" gap between the top of those two flanges and the bottom of the sink, and if there's any sort of nut in there, it's rusted beyond use.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #10

Due to the difficult angle that would (will) be required to cut these, I decided to risk the $9 on the "tub drain removal/installer tool" at HD (only 3 miles down the road). It seems like it would be the perfect tool, if my hardware weren't rusted solid...

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/brasscr...tool-t170.html

The good news is that it didn't break the cross pieces out of the bottom of the drain. The bad news is that no amount of torque that I'm able to apply to it does the trick. All I succeeded in doing was moving the whole sink.

I also picked up a thinner Sawzall blade, so I'll post another update if/when I get to that point.

Thank you guys for your wisdom on this!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #11

Alright, so other than ruining a blade, that wasn't that hard at all!

http://imagebin.org/231579
http://imagebin.org/231580

The actual holes in the sink are 1 3/4", so here's where I'm probably screwed.

The closest thing I saw at HD was some sort of "bar sink deep strainer", but I think it was for "2 to 2 1/2 inch" holes.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
Alright, so other than ruining a blade, that wasn't that hard at all!

http://imagebin.org/231579
http://imagebin.org/231580

The actual holes in the sink are 1 3/4", so here's where I'm probably screwed.

The closest thing I saw at HD was some sort of "bar sink deep strainer", but I think it was for "2 to 2 1/2 inch" holes.
I think you'll be using google a lot
You could take the Siamese drain assembly and the old strainer ring into a good plumbing supply house. They've got a lot of catalogs.