Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

leaking bath tub question

hi, we figured out that our tub only leaks when weight is in it (ie: person standing in there taking a shower or if you fill the tub with water and then run the shower). apparently, the caulking is not enough and a space forms from the weight, pulling the tub down and away from the tile wall, and water gets through the space. so, my question is: are there any other options besides ripping out the tile and having to make the tile go lower to fill in the space? that would be expensive, but it's what the plumber suggested. he said more caulking won't work, and that we would have to redo the tile (while weight is in the tub) to make it go lower, and then connect it with caulking like usual. any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks! cami

granolaveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Clean out all the old tile, amke sure all is dry. Fill the tub with water, that can be 300-400 lbs of weight. Then caulk with a good silicone. The silicone will move with the joint and should be OK.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks bill. after tearing out the tile, what am i sticking the silicone caulking to? newly laid tile?
-cami
granolaveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

I believe most tubs should have a lip up behind the tile (see http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...stall_1011.pdf for picture of the install) so I don't quite see how water is leaking unless the tub drops quite a bit while loaded. Perhaps there is no lip on your tub behind the tile. Either way:
Remove old caulk between tile and tub. May need to use rubbing alcohol to get all soap scum etc off. Then recaulk with silicone bathroom caulk. Make sure all is dry before caulking. It may help to fill tub with water to let it sink downwards before caulking. Let water in the tub while caulk dries (time on the tube). Good luck.

Last edited by bob22; 10-27-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: image edit
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

I beleive that Bill meant the same as bob22 was stating. Clean out all the old caulk, not exactly the tile itself, and follow bob22's directions for the re-caulk. Years ago an older plumber taught me to put water in a tub before doing anything to it's surroundings. It made sense then, and now. Good Luck,David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bath tub, caulking, leak, tile