Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Share |

** Leaking Basement

Hi, I'm a newbie

How do I figure out whether ABS pipes behind drywall are leaking? I found water in my basement yesterday...it's running very clear, so I assume it's coming from either the copper pipe or ABS pipe. The water meter dial doesn't move when all faucets are turned off. Water meter dial spins like crazy when any faucet is turned on.

The water is coming from the back of the house finished drywall basement area to front of the house basement unfinished storage area with a concrete floor. The clear water is collecting under my Wet Blanket

There are vertical ABS pipes coming from front portion of house kitchen/laundry sinks and bathrooms upstairs. I can hear the water rush through these visible ABS pipes as I turned on water from aforementioned rooms individually. Basically I turn on water in bathroom sink then hear it rush through ABS pipe...turn off water. Turn on water in laundry room sink then hear it rush through ABS pipe...turn off water. I followed these steps for the toilet and bath tub too. In all cases heard the rush of water through these ABS pipes which are bone dry on the outside surface and no water collecting where they enter into concrete ground.

How do I figure out whether the ABS pipes behind the drywall in the back portion of the basement area is leaking?

I suspect the following rooms are connected to the hidden ABS pipe. One bathroom with sink, toilet and tub. I also think the kitchen sink is running to hidden ABS pipe. I plan to cut into the basement drywall but unsure what to look for.

Wet Blanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #2

** Leaking Basement

first, you need to eliminate any possibility of ground water or an exterior water line leak such as your house service or irrigation piping.
After that, you are going to have to decide where in the wall the pipes are and tear into it. Examine them the same as you have. Good luck

Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #3

** Leaking Basement

Good point and thanks Eplumber. It rained all of last-night and this morning and discovered NO water in the basement when I returned home from work at 7pm. I guess its safe to say ground water not an issue. The odor is not pleasant though.

How best to figure out where to start tearing into drywall? Is it best to start from upstairs bathroom or main level kitchen?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

** Leaking Basement

One more thing to check- do you have any floor drains or other open pipes in the basement? If you have a partially blocked line in the basement downstream from a floor drain, it will overflow onto the floor. It could even be under carpet.
Also, check inside all your cabinets for leaks that could drip through holes and into the wall
Can you upload some pictures of the basement piping? Maybe we can help pin point a starting spot.
If the leak is behind drywall, it will be hard to pinpoint
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
bbo

** Leaking Basement

well, if any of it is wet, that's got to be torn out anyway, so start there.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

** Leaking Basement

The upstairs bathroom and main level kitchen ABS must meet somewhere to come down in the basement within same ABS pipe behind drywall. Is it logically better to bust through upstairs bathroom or main level kitchen drywall?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #7

** Leaking Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Blanket View Post
The upstairs bathroom and main level kitchen ABS must meet somewhere to come down in the basement within same ABS pipe behind drywall. Is it logically better to bust through upstairs bathroom or main level kitchen drywall?
If it is a drain leak, the only logic is that it's below the level of the fixture it's draining.
Since I'm not in your home looking at it-- who knows
You may have a fitting that has come apart a foot above the floor or maybe it's near the ceiling.... could even be a horizontal pipe that has a drywall screw in it.
You could perhaps get a mini scope inside the wall and take a look around if its not insulated
Old 09-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #8

** Leaking Basement

The attached picture is what I see from the basement behind the drywall at the lowest point of ABS pipe before it goes into the ground. I guess I should unscrew the cap and put a snake in there going upwards towards upper floors to clean out any obstructions within pipe?

By the way, thanks for your help folks.
Attached Thumbnails
** Leaking Basement-001.jpg  
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #9

** Leaking Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
well, if any of it is wet, that's got to be torn out anyway, so start there.
The only parts of house that's wet are the following;
- basement floor under carpet near wall where ABS pipe comes from ceiling and enters into the ground. See attached image of ABS access area close to ground behind drywall
- carpet area 8 feet left AND 8 feet right of attaches image. I suppose the wooden 2feet x 2feet panels under carpet are wet too
- bottom horizontal 2x4 studs supporting basement wall enclosing attached ABS image
- the base of 2x4 vertical studs supporting basement wall enclosing attached ABS image

I don't see any wet stains on drywall anywhere near bathroom, laundry room nor kitchen fixtures
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Wet Blanket; 09-19-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

** Leaking Basement

BINGO....I FOUND THE PROBLEM

In the basement where T-joint connects kitchen horizontal ABS to verticle ABS down to the ground. I plan to take pictures for you folks, but first need to rent a reciprocating saw to remove part of a 2x4 stud.

Stay tuned
Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #11

** Leaking Basement

Here's a picture....now what do I do?
Attached Thumbnails
** Leaking Basement-005.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
bbo

** Leaking Basement

first see if you can figure out why it broke in the first place

then buy the parts you need to replace ( that elbow higher in the pic needs to go for sure )

then replace them

are there specifics you are confused about?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #13

** Leaking Basement

Guess what I did yesterday

Thanks folks
Attached Thumbnails

The Following User Says Thank You to Wet Blanket For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (09-23-2012)