Leak In Well Control Box Thingy That Is 2x3x3 - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #1

Leak in Well Control Box Thingy that is 2x3x3

As demonstrated by the thread title ... I have no idea what this is ... which is part of the problem. But basically, I have the big blue tank, which has a line which goes over to this 2x3x3 approx box which has approx 6 electrical connections in it and then a water line and a flexible blue type hose which I am assuming is not used for water. At any rate. Where the water line comes into this box there is a circle which is about as big as a silver dollar and it has like 6 screws holding it into the back of that box. The bottom screw has a tiny drip of water which falls about 1 ever 3-5 min. I'm not sure if this is a valve, or a control box or what. But I took the cover off this box and (I think it says PUMPTRO) or something like that on the outside, and looked and the water is definately originating somewhere around this bottom screw on that silver dollar sized plate. I'm afraid to start unscrewing that plate being that I have no idea what it is. But I have a suspicion this is some sort of gasket or something which needs replacing or sealing or something. Should I call someone? Is this do-able? What am I talking about Need help if there is a solid plumber type person out there.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

thats called the pressure switch,,,there are two types 20-40 and 30-50 so see if yours says to get right one. Shut power off to the pump(like unplug it)or shut off THAT breaker etc. write down which wire goes where or label with duct tape etc. take out screws,,,everything else off and unscrew the small pipe in back with cresent or small pipe wrench,,reinstall in reverse,,,its pretty darn easy,,,if you have wire holders in where they come thru metal sides reuse those,OR get some,,,they dont wear out. Its a GOOD DIY job,,pretty easy. probably 220 so have 2 hots and a ground(on EACH side),,,maybe a bare ground to go with.

These go bad,,,generally on nights and weekends when parts are hard to find,(defined hollydays),,doesnt hurt to have a spare,like fuses. So WHERE is it dripping to?? Finished wood floor or concrete where you could care less? A temp fix for a small leak would be a pan or bowl. YOU could try to tighten those screws around the silver dollar part,,,if they arent rusted to pieces,,,be prepared to replace tho!!(power off again please) 220 WILL knock you on your butt or worse!!

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #3

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for the info. It's leaking on a concrete floor basically this thing is located approx 2 feet from the hole where the sump pump is in an unfinished room in the basement. It's such a tiny leak ... but I though that it would be symptomatic of something possibly on the fritz so I wanted to get it taken care of. The whole basement is one one big breaker I think ... maybe not the well, hard to say. But I'll check that out. I called a local plumbing place earlier today that said to take off the case, and I wasn't even really sure how to do that ... but then I saw a small nut on the outside about the size of a thimble in the front and it was a piece of cake. Wires seem intimidating though
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

try this,,,with that lid OFF,,take a piece of decent size paper and draw(I cant draw,,but diagram) out your wires. like too pump,to elec box,,,then draw all screws that you can clearly see which is which,,,front row,,,back row,,, left row,right row,,,whateveer,,,1rst one black,second white, third red,where bare (JUST as an example)grounds go or LOTS of clear pics. then turn around close your eyes and see IF you can put same wire back in same position,,,needle nose pliers and GOOD proper size screwdriver required!! IF you think you can 'remember proper order and place for 6 to 8 wires,,,your gonna be UP a creek with too short of paddle
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote