Leak From Water Supply Line & Inlet Elbow In Newly Installed Dishwasher - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leak from water supply line & inlet elbow in newly installed dishwasher

hey yall -- I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction!

We just put in all new cabinets and counter top and I'm on to installing the dishwasher. I got everything hooked up (electrical, drain, water inlet, etc) but there is a very slow leak occurring where the metal elbow connects to the dishwasher.

I covered the elbow threads about 2-3 times with teflon tape and tightened it to the point where the elbow was facing backwards for the water line to go into. I then turned on the water, and a few drips were occurring, so I figured I'd go ahead and try to screw in the elbow another complete turn (as it needs to face backwards), and though it ended up having to be tighter than I hoped, I was able to get the full turn in.

Turned the water back on, and while the leak is not as "heavy" was it was, it's still there.... Should I take it all apart, clean off the old tape and put on new, and then also apply some pipe joint compound on top of the tape?

any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! (I'm getting in trouble for taking so long that the mrs will call a plumber soon!!)

Advertisement

Last edited by jrinco11; 12-29-2009 at 10:51 AM.
jrinco11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Take it apart, clean off the tape both on the elbow and inside where it screws into, and put on more tape than before, like 4-4-1/2 turns instead of your 2-3 turns.

Then put it back together.

Don't crank it super tight to get it to face the right way. Instead take it apart yet again, clean it off again, put on slightly more tape, and try again.

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Take it apart, clean off the tape both on the elbow and inside where it screws into, and put on more tape than before, like 4-4-1/2 turns instead of your 2-3 turns.

Then put it back together.

Don't crank it super tight to get it to face the right way. Instead take it apart yet again, clean it off again, put on slightly more tape, and try again.
you sure it's okay to put that many "turns" of tape on there? and no need for pipe joint compound? (don't mean to question you, I just want to make sure I do this right)
jrinco11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

be sure you are wrapping the tape in a clockwise direction (the same way it threads in)
scotty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,022

There are those who use both teflon tape and pipe dope. Shouldn't cause a problem if you use both and might even help. Use tape first, followed by dope. Good luck; it is always the seemingly easy thing that can slow up a project!
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

To many tape turns only should be 11/2 turns to many cracks fittings and puts to much pressure on parts.

Make sure tape goes in the direction you screw it in.

If it still leaks after 11/2 turns something else wrong.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #7

My new dishwasher arrived without an inlet elbow and my installer had to provide it. I wonder if it's normally not included with a new dishwasher or it's really a missing part?
Punh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punh View Post
My new dishwasher arrived without an inlet elbow and my installer had to provide it. I wonder if it's normally not included with a new dishwasher or it's really a missing part?
Gotta supply your own

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dishwasher leak , elbow , water line