DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Leak from water supply line & inlet elbow in newly installed dishwasher

23K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  TheEplumber 
#1 · (Edited)
hey yall -- I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction!

We just put in all new cabinets and counter top and I'm on to installing the dishwasher. I got everything hooked up (electrical, drain, water inlet, etc) but there is a very slow leak occurring where the metal elbow connects to the dishwasher.

I covered the elbow threads about 2-3 times with teflon tape and tightened it to the point where the elbow was facing backwards for the water line to go into. I then turned on the water, and a few drips were occurring, so I figured I'd go ahead and try to screw in the elbow another complete turn (as it needs to face backwards), and though it ended up having to be tighter than I hoped, I was able to get the full turn in.

Turned the water back on, and while the leak is not as "heavy" was it was, it's still there.... Should I take it all apart, clean off the old tape and put on new, and then also apply some pipe joint compound on top of the tape?

any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! (I'm getting in trouble for taking so long that the mrs will call a plumber soon!!)

See less See more
#2 ·
Take it apart, clean off the tape both on the elbow and inside where it screws into, and put on more tape than before, like 4-4-1/2 turns instead of your 2-3 turns.

Then put it back together.

Don't crank it super tight to get it to face the right way. Instead take it apart yet again, clean it off again, put on slightly more tape, and try again.

#6 ·
To many tape turns only should be 11/2 turns to many cracks fittings and puts to much pressure on parts.

Make sure tape goes in the direction you screw it in.

If it still leaks after 11/2 turns something else wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.