Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Leak under sink - where to cut?

I discovered that I have leak under my sink. I've identified where the leak is coming from, as shown in the attached photo. This is the my first time with any plumbing work (new home owner), and i'm not exactly sure where I should cut the pipe to replace the connection (assuming I should cut and replace the whole thing). I'm thinking that I should cut it at point A or B (shown in photo), but I'm just not sure. Any advice would be very helpful.

Also I'm sure the leak is NOT coming from the threaded connection closest to the trap because I've tried putting some Teflon tape on the threads and that didn't work.

Thanks for the help.

C
Attached Thumbnails
Leak under sink - where to cut?-sink.jpg  

ccannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #2

If your leak is at the elbow you will need to remove it and replace it. I use PVC pipe daily with clear or grey glue. I have not see yellow glue except for ABS so that could be your issue, but ask if there is a yellow PVC glue when you buy your parts. When you cut the elbow you will need extra pipe to make up for the 1" or so you are trimming off inside the elbow and several butt connectors to accomodate the splice.
If any one on here can confirm my suspicion on the glue then you should replace all those connections and glue with PVC glue... however, I am not using ABS or plumbing PVC so please confirm about the glue before you scrap it all.
I have found when trying to isolate a leak that a strip of toilet paper or paper towel wrapped in the suspect area quickly pinpoints the leak when water runs through .

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #3

As Chemist said, I wouldn't start cutting the pipe until your sure where its leaking. You shouldn't need teflon tape on that trap connector, the slip ring should do the trick, make sure it has'nt fallon out along the way. Also, as said, put some paper towels in there to locate the spot, I ususally put them on the floor but the water could be running down to the low spot, then dripping off.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #4

if your leak is from cut B and not the threaded connection then dont cut just yet. Un-screw the pipe going into that leak area and from the trap. Once removed, you might be able to apply another layer of PVC primer and then cement from the inside on that bad joint. then attach the again with teflon and pipe thread compound. We use both most of the time and batting a thousand, so far.

Is it the right thing to do? not really but it might work otherwise your cut will be only at Cut A and replace the street 45 and 1 1/2 male adopter. You might not have to add more pipe by just turning the pipe from the P trap towards your new connections. Dry fit it first.

Last edited by II Weeks; 01-18-2009 at 11:12 AM.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote