Leak From Tub/shower? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Leak from tub/shower?

Alright so haven't had this problem with anything until just yesterday. We've been using the shower for about a month without any problems, last night my girlfriend decided to take bath. Well our shower/tub is all tile and it's like a shower and a tub in one. Anyways, last night after she got out of the shower i went to walk into the bathroom and i noticed the carpet in the hallway was soaked in water. Now the weird thing about it was, it was only in one spot, and i touched all around it buy only in the middle where you walk through the doorway it was wet.

If you look at the picture below you can see where the shower is, the doorway on the left, in the middle was where it was wet. It was not wet on the carpet near the opening in the drywall, just in a circle like area in that spot.

Now my only assumption is that it was from her taking a bath. I'm guessing there is some kind of a leak, but wouldn't it be wet from the drywall all the way to do opening of the doorway, not just in the doorway?

My only solution is to i guess try and reseal the tile somehow, but any suggestions or thoughts?

Also, does this mean my carpet is ruined? Like do i have to replace it now that mold can grow underneath there? It was dried up this morning but i don't want a rank smell to start coming from the bathroom area.

Thanks!!

Advertisement

tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

Leak from tub/shower?

I think you have to pull the baseboards that goes from the shower/tub to the wet spot. Baseboards sometimes have a channel in them. It would be very difficult for water to travel like that through a studwall... not with studs in the way every 16" (you'd usually find the water coming out the story below) but water does interesting things.

My guess is water was forced through the tile, where it came down and found its way to the channel in the baseboard and followed it to the doorway where it leaked out and somehow only formed a puddle in the middle. That's the only way I can see it happening while keeping the appearance everything else was dry. That is if I understand the pool of water was found in the entrance way to the left of the lights (not visible).

Advertisement

Last edited by Piedmont; 11-16-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
DIY Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Leak from tub/shower?

Yes that's correct. What i was thinking of doing was a real good cleaning job, then buying maybe some sealer from home depot? Never had to do any tile work or any of the sort but there's always one way to figure it out! DIY! Figured i would give that a try, let it dry and then fill the tub up and see if i still get a leak. Thanks for the input
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote