Leak Near Main Supply Shutoff Valve. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leak near main supply shutoff valve.

I had to turn off the water in my house tonight and noticed a small wet spot that was coming from right behind the nut on this black valve (?) above the shutoff valve. It was dripping about once a minute.

4 questions: what is this thing called (see picture), what is it for, will tightening the bolt stop the leak and will there be any bizarre consequences (e.g., reducing water pressure to the house) from doing that?

Thanks....
Attached Thumbnails
Leak near main supply shutoff valve.-valve.jpg   Leak near main supply shutoff valve.-valvedetails.jpg  

Advertisement

cSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

If hte leak is from the upper nut, just give it a little turn. But based upon the green corrosion, the nut on the right is leaking. Give it a turn. Don't mess with the lock nut or adjusting screw on the item to the right. That device is a pressure regulator.

Advertisement

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
If hte leak is from the upper nut, just give it a little turn. But based upon the green corrosion, the nut on the right is leaking. Give it a turn. Don't mess with the lock nut or adjusting screw on the item to the right. That device is a pressure regulator.
Thanks. I'm feeling pretty stupid now, but in matters of plumbing and electricity, I tend to be cautious, so please bear with me. The water is dripping from between B and C in the photo below. A is completely dry. Which part are you saying to give a clockwise turn to --- A, B, C, or something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Leak near main supply shutoff valve.-valve.jpg  

Last edited by cSquall; 07-25-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Adding description.
cSquall is offline   Reply With Quote