Leak Every 5 Months - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leak every 5 months

I moved into a house almost 2 years ago. Shortly after moving in I noticed a wet spot in the spare bedroom ceiling, right below the master bedroom bathroom. I opened the ceiling up to find the hot and cold water shut off, as well as the drain for the tub/shower. I tried every scenario to try and replicate the leak but with no luck. I have left the ceiling open and every 5 or 6 months there is a massive leak after a shower. I'm talking about a huge puddle of water on the floor, not a slow leak. Since it only happens every 5 months I am never there to see the leak happen, only the aftermath. Again, I try every scenario to try and make it leak but with no luck. I can't tell if the leak is coming from the actual water line (cold water copper line is usually wet after a leak) or from higher up on the tub. Once it happens, it doesn't occur again for a least 5 or 6 months.

Does anyone have any ideas or things I could look for?

The house is almost 40 years old, but the bathroom has been renovated at least 1 time, probably 10 or so years ago.

Thanks

Advertisement

LValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,470

Leak every 5 months

Bad water possibly. Ask your neighbors if they are seeing the same problems.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Leak every 5 months

The occasional leak like that is almost always water 'escaping' around a shower curtain or shower door---

If everything checks out in the plumbing and valve /tub over flow--then it's escaping water.

One rare problem---the overflow----with so many tubs used only as showers---the over flow gasket can be a leaker and go unnoticed for ,say 5 months , between the tub actually being used for a bath----

intentionally over fill that tub-----see if the overflow gasket is the culprit.
jaydevries (11-04-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Leak every 5 months

Mike,

I also though of the tub overflow drain, but have already filled the tub up past it and no signs of the leak. I also tried splashing water all around the tub seal and on the floor outside the tub. Still no signs of the leak.
LValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Leak every 5 months

Perhaps the water pressure varies with periodic spikes that result in a leak from one of the valves. Second possibility might be the shower diverter valve.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote