Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

Leak/Drip

I have a dripping faucet in my bathtub. What can I do to stop it?

Willie5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie5566 For This Useful Post:
Wblazer (11-01-2012)
Old 10-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #2

Leak/Drip

How do you get rid of mold under a sink that has leaked for two weeks? Air it out and then what?

douglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #3

Leak/Drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglass View Post
How do you get rid of mold under a sink that has leaked for two weeks? Air it out and then what?

First you start your own topic. Your question is not really related to mine.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Leak/Drip

Willie,
What brand of faucet? Single handle? Two-handle?
It's probably just a washer, or seats-and-springs, or a cartridge, depending upon the type of faucet.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #5

Leak/Drip

Just a run of the mill Delta. It's a single spout with the shower valve right on the spout.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

Leak/Drip

Easy then, if it's a Delta.
There are two ways that you can stop a single-handle Delta faucet drip.
These faucets all have ball and seats-and-springs assemblies that are adjustable.
Without even turning off the water (you only have to remove the handle), you can attempt to stop the drip by adjusting (tightening) the compression "tension" of the ball onto the seats-and-springs (whose wear is what is causing the leaking to begin with).
Inside the round middle opening of the cam cover (ball dome) around the handle stem you will see a (threaded) white plastic ring with two or four small slots opposite each other. Delta repair kits have a tool that comes with them that includes a little Allen wrench to fit the handle retaining screw and two little tongs on the other end to fit into those slots.
If you don't have a Delta tool, just use the appropriate size Allen wrench on the handle retaining screw and the tips of a pair of needle-nosed pliers in the two little opposite slots of the adjusting ring.
Remember, "lefty loosey, righty tightey" when loosening the retaining screw and slightly tightening the adjusting ring to stop the drip. If there is a lot of corrosion on the dome cap, you might have to spritz it with WD-40.
Tighten the adjusting ring a little bit at a time just so that it stops the drip. Don't over-tighten it, or the faucet will be very hard to operate and it will wear the seats-and-springs faster.
If tightening the adjusting ring doesn't stop the leaking, then you have to replace the seats-and-springs. You can buy those separately in a bubble pack. I would go with the Delta brand if they have it, instead of some "made for" kit.
You have to turn the water OFF before removing the cam cover, plastic valve "innards", etc. to get to the seats-and-springs. It is easiest to remove the old ones with the tip of a small screwdriver or an icepick.
Put everything back together exactly as it came out. While doing so, smear a little plumbers grease on the moving parts (or you can substitute petroleum jelly in a pinch).
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 10-27-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #7

Leak/Drip

I have a leak from my shower head. I have a single lever delta monitor faucet. I called Delta and have a replacement cartrige. The problem is that I have removed the set screw from the handle, but it will not come off. I thought it would pull straight off once the set screw was removed, but it will not. Any suggestions? The house was built 18 months ago.

dsnell is offline   Reply With Quote