Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #1

Share |

Leak detection

Hi people,

I am looking for a little help here.

I have a spot in the master bedroom (next to the wall separating it from the master bathroom) that is getting wet. If I put down paper towels and some weight on top I might get a moist spot about the size of an apple. At another time, It might soak three layers of paper towels. We might go 5 or 6 days with not moisture whatsoever. We might go 3 or 4 days after the last rain with no moisture. I can run all of our indoor water utilities and it won't recreate the moisture. I can go 5 or 6 days without moisture, using all the utilities as per usual. Note that my house is on a slab.

Here are some questions:
1. I made sure none of our indoor or outdoor utilities were running. I then went out to the water meter and recorded the number, the position of the triangle, and the time. I watched the little triangle and it wasn't moving at all. After 30 minutes I re-checked it. The number had not changed and the triangle had not moved. I turned on the outdoor hose and saw that the triangle immediately started moving. Doesn't this mean that I DON'T have any leaking pipes?
2. I thought I might have water coming under the slab. Where the brick meets dirt I didn't notice any rodent holes or anything and I don't get standing water. Where the brick meets with concrete slabs (back porch, front porch, driveway) there is the usual material separating the house from the concrete. In a couple of places this material was worn and there were holes. I filled a few of these with self-leveling concrete crack filler is that ok to use for this purpose? Note that I still had a water spot after plugging holes.
3. If it isn't a broken pipe then it must be coming from the roof or from under the slab. It is impossible for me to get to that area in my attic but I am going to do my best to try and make a path to that area so I can look during our next rain. Is there anything else I can be doing? I just don't notice anything around my slab. It is easy to get up on the roof, but I don't notice anything out of place there. I do have a vent stack in the area and the flashing isn't completely covered should I perhaps put some kind of spray foam or something around this what should I use?

Any advice would be most helpful.
santa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Experienced

Leak detection

Sounds to be like you may have an issue with condensation.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #3

Leak detection

How bout some pictures showing the wall the wet area and the bathroom in relation ship to it(the leak). Is your last name Claus?
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #4

Leak detection

What is directly on the other side of this wall? Shower? Bath?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Picky Plumber

Leak detection

ummmmm..... and.... uhhhhh... do you have a dog?
What is directly overhead? May be coming from a vent register for your heating system that may not be insulated properly.... Good luck.
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #6

Leak detection

"]ummmmm..... and.... uhhhhh... do you have a dog?"

Hey it rains. Dog chooses not to go outside to do his business! Makes sense to me.

"What is directly overhead? May be coming from a vent register for your heating system that may not be insulated properly.... Good luck."

When we first had out unit installed the vents would get wet. Had to have the setting changed on the cold air.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote