Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

leak that defies physics

We have a stucco on steel frame home. When I turn on, and only when I turn on one outside tap connected to hoses, water accumluates about ten feet away at the foot of the walkout basement door. This does not happen when the tap is off and I can see nothing leaking from the actual valve outward. There is water damage to the door and up the wall nearest the tap. I've looked in with a peephole camera and see sprayed on insulation. I am out of ideas. Anyone? Thanks

fpcottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

leak that defies physics

if its a frost free hose bibb it might be leaking on the tube itself back inside.it actually shuts off the water just past that point. any way you can access the connection to the water supply to it? ive never had one do that but anything is possible. the other possibility is someone drilled, cut or otherwise put a hole in the tube where you cant see it. the joint between 10 and 15 and between 15 and 25 has to be watertight. any holes in 15 would let water out but only when you turn on the hose. the water actually shuts off at the bottom of number 10.
Attached Images

Last edited by DannyT; 07-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

leak that defies physics

I can see where that would do it but the only thing consistent in our plumbing was "lack". This house is only a few years old. We built it and could not get reputable plumbers. (We've since found good ones but want to DYI.)
The tap is standard. Nothing fancy.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,068

leak that defies physics

Check, and replace as necessary, the O rings in your hoses; it could be something as simple the water leaking there and following the wall to the low point. If that doesn't pan out, I would suspect condensation. How humid is the basement or lower level?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #5

leak that defies physics

get a cap to screw on to the hose bibb and turn it on and see if it leaks then.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #6

leak that defies physics

It isn't humidity as I can trace the water to being there one half hour after the tap is turned on. I can't see it being O rings on the hoses as all the externals are bone dry all the way.
There is a splitter on the tap with on/off valves. I'll try turning them off tonight with the tap on. I can see the possibility that inside the tap is a crack that leads back into the wall.
I should have mentioned:the tap from the handle to the wall, where it should just screw on to the pipe, is covered is stucco due to more poor workmanship. I didn't think much of it as it is upstream but that could guide water back into the house. If the tap itself is cracked, that could be the path. I'll cross my fingers.

Last edited by fpcottage; 07-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #7

leak that defies physics

I guess you can't delete.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 524

leak that defies physics

What part of the country are you in?

If there is no leak inside the house, nor is there a leak out side the house... then the only place that it can take place is with in the part that is in the wall..

Time for a new Freeze-less anti siphon outdoor faucet... a few inches one side or the other where the current set up is at... tie in to the line inside the house.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #9

leak that defies physics

If it's one of those frost free outdoor taps it actually turns the water off back inside the wall several inches or so. If it's leaking there somehow then it would makes sense how you get this water leak, it's dripping into the wall and going elsewhere.

Not really a hard fix unless this is all sealed up completely, is it?
Hatsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #10

leak that defies physics

Could not really test anything yesterday as we are Mid-Atlantic and were in a deluge. More tomorrow.

Last edited by fpcottage; 07-14-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #11

leak that defies physics

I mentioned the same thing that Hatsee and Akpsdvan did 2 days ago back in post #2. I guess he doesn't want to believe the 20 years i had as a plumber. I even included a drawing. if the hose was not disconnected in the winter and you get below freezing the water will freeze and split the tube inside the wall.

Last edited by DannyT; 07-14-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #12

leak that defies physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
I mentioned the same thing that Hatsee and Akpsdvan did 2 days ago back in post #2. I guess he doesn't want to believe the 20 years i had as a plumber. I even included a drawing. if the hose was not disconnected in the winter and you get below freezing the water will freeze and split the tube inside the wall.

I actually just changed one out that night which is why I posted, I guess I could have just quoted you and said ditto.
Hatsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #13

leak that defies physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
I had this exact thing happen to mine.
In the spring the wife went to use the hose and wasnt getting good water pressure. I checked the basement and water was spraying all over the place!

Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water leak