DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Leak in condo bathroom

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  LateralConcepts 
#1 ·
I have a leak in the bathroom.

No idea where its coming from.

There are two bathrooms back to back, and the leak comes out from the bath tub, about 2 feet in from the wall, where is there is some caulk missing.

Its a very small leak, maybe an ounce of water an hour. And it could be coming from one of the units above me.

The only thing I notice is the water in the toliet bowl, in the bathroom where the leak is, seems to drain on its own, like if I'm gone for a month it will be empty or almost empty, however the leak appears to start from the bath tub and not from the toliet.

What are the most probable causes of this? Or what should I check first?

#2 ·
Could be difficult to find without opening walls. Water can travel a great distance. There could be a leak in the vertical line between your tub and the one in the unit above you. Your tub/shower valve, or tub waste or overflow could be leaking, or your neighbors could be.

Is the water always there, or only when you're running water?

Are there units below you also? Do they have any water marks/damage in the ceiling?

I don't think the toilet is related. If the bowl is emptying on its own after long periods of time, could simply be evaporation.

So process of elimination: Team up with your neighbors, ask questions, run lots of water at each fixture one at a time. Upstairs, downstairs, individually. See if you notice an increase in the amount of water. If you still can't determine where it's coming from, the next step would be to call a home inspector, plumber, or restoration company that has an infrared camera before you start tearing into walls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.