DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   leak caused by strong water pressure (

el tigre 03-29-2009 01:02 PM

leak caused by strong water pressure
I was told my leaky kitchen faucet is due to very strong water pressure from the city's water line. Has anyone heard of this before and if so how do you repair?

kenmac 03-29-2009 01:17 PM

Yes I've heard & seen it.. You will have to check the water pressure inside your home... should be around 50-60 lbs after reg.

SULTINI 03-29-2009 06:28 PM

No haven't heard this before check all other water sources in the house.

Can you put a temporary gauge on the system somewhere??? Like a hose bib where the garden hose is??

If it is above what Kenmac recommended call the water company and complain but make sure you have the pressure readings as proof.

Daniel Holzman 03-29-2009 07:47 PM

Municipal water pressure varies from as low as 40 psi to as much as 100 psi. At a hundred psi or greater, you can have very serious plumbing issues, since most pipe and fixtures are not rated for continuous 100 psi usage. Typically the very high pressures only occur if you are near a standpipe or water tower. If you do have high pressure, you can get a pressure reduced installed in the line where the city water main enters your house. As noted in a previous post, 60 psi is considered normal.

But before getting all worked up about it, you should call the City and ask them what pressure they supply to you, they should be able to figure it out from their pressure maps. If it is normal, you have a leaky faucet, and you simply need to fix it, possibly as simple as a new O ring or washer.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1